what every first gen owner should have

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Default what every first gen owner should have

Hello
Can some one help me ? I have a 1968 camaro with a chopped up engine harness I installed a alternator and a hei dizzy and new starter .I just cant get it to turn it just clicks .Does anybody have any info such as diagrams or pictures of the wiring to complete this .Or what color wires go from the harness to for these mods .I am very confused about the wires that go from the engine harness on . Please help this is the only thing thats keeping me thanks for the help.

Please help

Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: what every first gen owner should have

What just clicks? Do you have a chiltons? I know that was a silly question, but you should get one.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Disregarding your alternator as you didn't say which kind you had. I.E. Factory external regulator or newer internal regulator. Very simple.

1.Battery positive to starter.
2.Inside post on solenoid to ignition which would be a purple wire from the factory going to the dash which gives power when you turn the key on. That purple wire used to go to one side of tthe old external coil on the factory points set up. It may have to be extended. I can't quite remember. Outside post on solenoid does nothing on HEI..
3.Power to the HEI. Usually a wire made up that goes from the spare spade next to your ignition fuse to the power on the HEI.
4.Ground the HEI.
5.Hook up tach.
6.Ground battery.
7.Start engine.

If you're getting a click, click, click it most likely a dead battery or bad cable connections (at the battery). If it's an old starter, try banging on it with a hammer too.

RM

Old 04-24-2007, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member

hahaha never heard anyone recommend banging on a starter to getit to work. not sayin its good or bad, as i dont know. lol. but still funny lol. but clicking is generally a battery problem. the solenoid is getting just enough power to bridge the connection but not enough to keep the connection closed, so it opens up again. thats the clicking, open and close. check, charge and or replace the battery and see what you get. should turn the starter.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:52 AM

I have seen smacking a starter work several times...especially right after you install a new one.
one of the few times it is OK to hit your car

check all your connections first you may not have tightened something completely in the swap.
smack the starter and try it again
try to jump it

Pretty much I guess I just told you to do what Ratmotor said!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I've gotten more dead cars off the road and into the bay without a tow truck with a hammer smack to the starter. Most often you'll have proper battery voltage and good power down to the starter but the brushes inside the starter motor can "hang up" or get in a poor spot on the armature. One solid smack to the starter body with someone holding the key in the run posistion usually will fire them off one last time. ( be freaking safe if you try it, no need to get run down because someone slips a clutch or let's it roll in neutral.)

Multiple clicks, connection or low voltage,

Solid single click, usually a starter soleniod unable to engage. Or on some of the later model cars look for multiple battery cable connections on the positive terminal and one will be loose or bad.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:53 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vampyrico

hahaha never heard anyone recommend banging on a starter to getit to work. not sayin its good or bad, as i dont know. lol. but still funny lol.
very commonly done. usually a real good temporary fix when you have a bad heatsoak problem

Old 04-24-2007, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Next time anyone is looking at a new or reman starter check the box for the build sheet and supposed test results, every sheet is printed the same, it's total bullshat, look at the bottom of the page.

In bold print it will read "Striking starter with hammer voids warranty" or something along those lines.

It usually gets a strange look when I'm at a bar and someone has one dead. I'll ask if anyone has a hammer in their truck, usual answer is yes since it's a blue collar bar and there are bound to be carpenters there. I'll wander into the lot with the hammer. Owner nervously looking at this drunk redneck who seems to bleed 20/50 and talks in weird gibberish with phrases like "pulse width" and "jet size".

I'll have a friend come with who knows the routine. No freaking way someone I don't know is trying the key. Crawl under, or pop the hood depending on the vehicle and tell my keyman to try it. One hard strike and alive the vehicle becomes.

It normally gets a beer bought for me and my bud (another reason to bring a friend) and everyone asking what I did.

Then the niext time I'm there someone will tell me I'm full of shat since they tried it and all they managed to do was make sparks, burn themselve, or hit the solenoid and break the starter. All I can say is "Hey man, I'm a trained pro-fe-so-nal at the hammer blow. If you'll buy me a beer I'll show you the proper way"

Old 04-25-2007, 12:17 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

Hammers should be a part of recommended roadside emergency kits.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:22 AM
3rd Gear Member

I love any story that starts with "I was at the bar"[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: what every first gen owner should have