What is this car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Talking What is this car worth?

Hi guys, I am new to the forum and am considering a new Camaro project. I thought I would give you all some particulars and see if I could get a consensus on what this car might be worth. I realize what I am getting myself into, I've been here before.
I know it’s very difficult without seeing it but I will describe it as best I can.

^68 RS Camaro coupe
The body is very good, both full rear quarters replaced
Trunk panel looks new and is finished
Floors look original and good
Bottom of car and firewall are finished
Sub frame is finished and back on car with new radiator support
Front suspension is done including steering gear box, less spindles and drums/rotors
Good 10 bolt rear end cleaned and painted with new multi leaf springs on car
This is a list of the things that come with the car
SS Steering column, I don’t know if car is an SS but I think it was an automatic car
Front fenders
Cowl panel
Doors that are good
A few pieces of glass, a door window and back glass
Good trunk lid with spoiler
8 inch rally wheels
Dash is in car and rust free, dash panel looks replaced

As far as I can tell there is no rust left on the car, supposedly the body was professionally done. If its not on this list its not with the car. This is an original black car with black 714 interior and air conditioning
The car is not complete but I am impressed with how clean and straight it is.
Thank you for your input.
Gregg

Old 11-29-2010, 08:54 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

to me i wouldnt pay over 3k without a motor or anything

Old 11-29-2010, 08:59 PM

I get the feeling the guy would slap me if I offered him that, but I guess I don't know till I try.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:01 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

if hes offended by that hes a retard, with the amount of time and work it sounds ike hes done he shouldnt be selling, i paid 3300 for my 79 with a great body, only bad is 3 spots in the floor board, and also came with a freshly built 383 and a muncie 4 speed

Old 11-29-2010, 09:36 PM

I think $3,000 would be a lot to pay for it unless you had the SS and was looking to keep it. I just paid $800.00 for a 99 RS V6 though knowing it needed an engine! So go hard and just get it going....from what I hear that's a bad *** car to drive when restored, and you'll get the deserved attention looking your way when it's rumbling down Main Street.

So with that said.... I need you gear heads to help me on my own question on my Blown up 3800 series 2 V6, it's looking like I'm going to need some advice, guidence, and insight on what to do to this Quasar Blue 99 with 78k on it. Sitting on the ground for three years straight. I'm waiting to be able to add pics to my page and post on my profile but I think I have to do 10 posts on other threads in order to set up my page?? Well I guess that's how it works, cool. I'm going to be starting a thread on the progress, so I'll need ya to check in on me guys. THANKS A TON!!

Old 11-29-2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Jeez, you guys can't compare a 79 or a 99 to the value of a 68. In completed form, neither one is worth anywhere near what the 68 RS would be (like at least twice the value of a 79 and 8 times the value of a 99 V6). Therefore, the value of a "some assembly required" 68 would be worth more than the others in the same condition.
That 68 sounds like most, if not all, of the hard body work has been done and out of the way (read big bucks to pay to have done). Plus the suspension has been rebuilt too. From the sounds of it, the owner could have easily put $10k into it as it stands, and more if he paid to have all of that major body panel work done. And also don't forget to add what he originally paid for the car in the first place. Nice 68 RS's are selling in the low 20's and go up from there depending on originality (numbers matching, etc.). Assuming it is a true RS (desireable model), and factoring what has already been done, $8-10k would not be an out of line price at all to pay for it. Also keep in mind, that when rebuilding a car like this, you can easily spend more on it than if you were to buy one already finished up correctly. Not everybody restores a car expecting it to be a money saver, or at least they find out later that it didn't work out that way. Sometimes, the pride in putting a car together and calling it "your own", makes up for the extra cost.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 AM
3rd Gear Member

^ I agree with camaro69. no way you can compare a 99 or 79 to a 68

Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 AM
3rd Gear Member

Camaro69 is wise man. A 1968 Camaro roller with all its body is easily worth at least $8,000. Wait a second, no rust you say and it might be an original RS/SS? Its probably worth at least $10,000.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 AM

Sorry fellas.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I've been around old cars my whole life, so I have some sense about the value of the car. 8 to 10k sounds reasonable and the asking price is considerably lower. It won't be hard to have 30k in this car when the smoke clears, but the hobby isn't about making money, its about the challenge. If I make a deal on the car I'll let you guys know and maybe post some stuff on my plastic car. If anyone else has an opinion on the subject I'd like to hear it ..Thanks.

Quick Reply: What is this car worth?