Water Neck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:58 AM
Default Water Neck?

Ok- so I hate to sound like a girl, but I am...so...

I have a 67 Camaro that has a crate 350 turbo in it. My ex had the car in his possession and now that I have it back he told me that the water neck is leaking.

I'm really not a moron about cars...I change my own brakes and have assisted many engine drops...but I have just never heard of a water neck!

I googled it and it seems like I could probably locate it on the car (it's in storage so I'll have to drive over and really look at it...) but is it a gasket that leaks? And I almost hate to ask this question- but what does it do? I had it rollbacked to the storage facility, but I mean is it going to kill the car if I drive it with a leaking water neck? Not that I plan on driving it like that long term, but I could take it to my buddy's garage instead of trying to figure it out on my own...

ok...well thanks for helping a girl figure it out! lol

Old 10-12-2010, 05:13 AM
June 2011 ROTM
2011 RIDE OF THE YEAR
ROTM Winner's Club

No problem... The waterneck is the piece on the front, top of the intake manifold that the upper radiator hose connects to. If it's leaking you'll probably see coolant or traces of coolant around it. It's very easy to change out the gasket. Just two bolts and a new gasket. You can probably get pictures of what it looks like by going to one of the parts dealers and looking for a waterneck (i.e. summit or jegs). It should be pretty obvious when you see what it looks like. Just remember to drain most of the coolant before trying the job. As far as driving the car, it really depends on how bad the leak is and making sure you have coolant. If it's just weeping out, then no problems (many people do with weepage and don't even know they have weepage). Obviously if it's spraying out,, it's a different story.

Derrick

Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 AM
jno
In the Staging Lanes
Old 10-12-2010, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member

67Camarogurl don't listen to Tazinhawaii, one look at his ride will tell you he knows nothing of Camaros. The fact is the Waterneck and it's accompanying gasket are basically the back bone of the entire motor and extremely expensive to fix.

At this point I would simply write off the car as a complete loss and if you are lucky you might be able to get a salvage price for it. If any water leaked from the Waterneck gasket chance are it has compromised the sheetmetal, glass, and interior via a process known as hydro-molecular penatriosis.

Send me a pm and I will give you a good price, like $200.00 over salvage, so something in the ballpark of $1,200.00. I know what you are thinking, "I don't even know this guy, why would he do this for me?".

Well the truth of the matter is that your story has deeply touched me and upon reading of your recent divorce I just wanted to reach out and deeply touch you too.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've had water neck leaks happen more than once. Usually the cause is the cheap thin flange type of water necks warp in the middle, opening up a gap. I would replace the water neck with a better style that has a thick mounting flange that won't warp.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Shevrolay must have something wrong with his passengers seat. He appears to be having problems picking people up.

If you are going to keep the car in storage, you may also consider draining the coolant until you plan on bringing it back out of storage.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Not to go off topic here, but just wanted to share my personal experinece with draining fluid when storing cars.

This is exactly what I used to do when I first starting with "older" cars. Draining rad fluid and refill in the Spring. After sevreal years of doing this I noticed a pattern. The waterpump would fail within a few days of service. So every Spring I would have to put in a new water pump. This happened on my Cadillac and 442. It happend 3 years in a row.... What I dicovered is that without the fluid the water pump seal would go dry and shrink or tear after a long period of sitting dry in the same position.

May I sugest that rather draining the fluid, make sure it is fresh and make sure it is the right mixture for your local temperature environment. I replace the fluid every season and add a water pump lubricant. Since I stopped draining fluids for storage, I have yet to replace a waterpump.

Just my personal experience...could be that I'm just unlucky with water pumps.

Vic

Old 10-15-2010, 01:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Vic,
That makes perfect sense to me, I'm convinced. And since this is electronic communication, I guess that means I've been e'vic'ted! Lol.

Joseph