Vega steering box in 67-69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Default Vega steering box in 67-69 Camaro

I've read conflicting articles and was wondering if anyone had actually performed the swap. It seems that the Vega steering box will fit 67-69 Camaro's. Has anyone performed this swap. If so, any problems? I want to stay with manual steering but looking to decrease the ration of the box from 24-1 to 16-1 or so. Loosing front end weight would'nt hurt either.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:28 AM
3rd Gear Member

years ago this might have been worth researching, but now with so many proven set-ups and great aftermarket options available for the Camaro, I don't see the need for something like this

Old 11-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Default Manual steering box

I would normally agree if the application were semi normal. Everyone I talk to that has tried to fit a rack and pinion with a BBC have had no luck due to clearance. Tons of power steering box options however throw in a set back engine, big block, big tube headers and large capacity oil pan nothing fits. Even if you get the steering gear and hoses on still need to change front pulleys and hope to find a combination that suits.

Brand new Vega boxes available for this application with model specific pitman arm from a few race shops, just curious if anyone here had gone this route. It is not as unorthodox as it sounds compare to a modified Pinto rack which is what most companies offer.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'm a little confused at what you're really looking for here? first you say a pinto box, then you say a pinto rack?

are you just going the manual route because you think a power box will be too to tough to fit?

it seems that you really wanted to go with a rack so the handling will be tighter, but then you talk about a "race ready" manual box. most of those boxes aren't built for tight feeling steering.

how far is your engine set back? are you using an engine plate also? which oilpan are you using?

I have a BB in my '69, it is set back a little AND put off a little to the driver's side. I have pretty good sized header tubes, a 7 quart pan and still have power steering. I might be going with a rack next year and have found no problems with any fitment problems with any of my research

it's also very easy to get the proper pulleys these days

I also have a couple of friends that have racks in their BB first gen Camaros with ZERO problems

as long as you do your homework, all of that stuff is easily attainable with off the shelf parts. also, if your engine is set back, shouldn't you have MORE room for a rack?

Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Default Clearing the confusion

Sorry about your confusion. The question originally was simple, had anyone fitted a Vega box? Nothing more. Never mentioned a Pinto box, the only reason I mentioned a Pinto “rack” is that most aftermarket Camaro racks start off life from a Pinto rack then modified.

The reason that I want a quick ratio manual box is for quick steering correction after initial launch if the car launches a crooked. I don’t want power steering for many reasons, the feel is the least of it.

The engine is set back about 4 inches. Moving the weight back was one reason the other reason, which leads to the oil pan problem and having a rack clearance issue, was to create a larger sump forward rather than deeper due to low ground clearance. Yes, custom pan and tray.

Any BB I’ve seen with factory mounts leave about an inch between the distributor and firewall so any setback without firewall mods would be minimal. Header tubes are 2 1/8 and dimpled slightly at the box.

I never spoke to anyone who tried to install a rack but if you go to Super Chevy site and have a look at the forums quite a few people have postings on this topic. Without mentioning manufacturers, no positive experience and most put the box back on.

Yes it is easy to get proper pulleys. I currently run a single serpentine belt that drives my alternator, water pump and Moroso engine evac pump. As I said, power steering is not an option. Heck, I don’t even have wipers, radio or a heater.

Sorry to be so long winded. I just wanted to address the points from 69 SS and a reminder that when a question is asked, the person asking the question may have something in mind that may not relate the circumstances from our own cars.

Innovation and experiments have led to most of the products that were once not always able to be “sourced out”. As it turns out what I had asked about is a common 1st gen Camaro ugrade\modification.

Now, YES you can easily adapt a Vega style aluminum box as I’ve since found out. Less that half the weight of a stock cast box, quicker ratio and very easy to adapt to the factory rag joint. Flaming River amongst others offer this box as a conversion. As mentioned by 69 SS, do your homework before buying.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

now it all makes sense. sometimes "longwinded" is a good thing...hahahaa

4"? that IS a huge set back. you have any pics?