Upper and lower arms control Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 11:18 PM
Default Upper and lower arms control Upgrade

Hi, am new to the classic car game!! Just bought my dream Camaro 68 and would like to know from the veterans tips on how to improve the car. Still want to have a classic look and feel but with minor performance upgrades..

Recomendations on upgrading:
Brakes system
suspension (coil overs or airbags suspension)
upper and lower arm
Brands and tips are highly appreciate

Just want to enjoy my dream car!!

Old 01-23-2020, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

There is a wide range of answers to your ?'s.
Is this going to just be a pleasure drive car or do you intend to auto cross or drag race it?
Do you want the ride height changed?

If just a pleasure car, IMHO, I would just replace the A arm bushings and other front suspension parts (tie rods, ball joints, etc.) with Moog parts if needed. Definitely the sway bar with a 1 1/8" one vs stock one and a set of Bilstein shocks if you need shocks

Sub frame connectors are a good idea. I bought Summit brand for both sub-frame and sway bar but there are higher $ brand names if you want. IMHO both do the same

If you car is a SS as badged you already have front disc brakes which are fine for daily driving. Larger front disc and converting to rear disc with kits from The Right Stuff, Wilwood, etc. are options if you feel you will be auto x the car

Ride Tech and Hotchkis and Detroit Speed Engineering all make full suspension kits more suited to aggressive driving use. They all will affect ride quality (read it will be stiffer)

If lowering the car I would do lowering springs vs drop spindles. You can buy lowering leaf springs for the rear or just do lowering blocks for much cheaper

So it all comes down to what you intend to use the car for and how thick your wallet is. I would do a lot of reading and driving the car as is for awhile before making any decisions

Old 01-23-2020, 01:24 PM
Default Thanks

Those are highly respectful feedbacks thanks for that info. Am really gonna use it for pleaser driving nthg crazy life racing. Just want it to handle better and yes it does have front disc. Just feel the handling it’s too swaybe if that makes sense. I would like to lower a bit just for the look that why they recommend coil overs.

In the future I was planning to put a EFI system

Old 01-23-2020, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

If the car still has the stock sway bar a larger diameter one (1 1/8") will greatly help the "swaybe" part you note. Also new shocks if yours are worn

Coil overs can lower the front. Not sure if they work well with the stock A arms or you need aftermarket tubular ones. I just did the RideTech SBC lowering springs with stock A arms. The Ride Tech springs are a "progressive" spring rate spring. IMHO I would not cut a coil, or more, off of a spring to lower it but that is the down and dirty method

Old 01-25-2020, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If you want a tighter suspension, go with Energy Suspension urethane control arm bushings. The car will ride a little rougher though. For rubber bushings, and other suspension parts, I don't put any Moog parts on customer's cars unless it's the only thing available, and the car has to leave the shop right away. Moog used to be the name to use because they were solely made in the USA. Now, their parts are made in 16 different countries. You could order 2 identical part numbers and the pair could be made in different countries, quality is a crap shoot. I'd pick the ACDelco (professional line) over a Moog. And, a rule of thumb on ball joints and tie rod ends, ones with grease fittings tend to be a lower quality than ones that don't have fittings. However, I like having a greasable option.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 01-25-2020 at 04:02 PM.