Speedometer and fuel gauge issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:50 PM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes
Default Speedometer and fuel gauge issues

I already know in advance that the 69' I'm buying has a semi-funtioning (mostly not) gas gauge, and a speedometer that "bounces" 3-5mph while driving. I won't be able to answer any specific questions for those trying to help me, as I won't have the car in my possession until approx late next week.

First the gas gauge- Is this just a matter of replacing a sending unit, which I'd guess invloves taking off the gas tank? Or could it be something even simpler (I wish)?

The speedometer: Of course, there's 15" wheels which will make it innacurate to begin with. Seems like a bouncing speedo is something I can recall from cars during teenage days. As long as I have a general idea of what say, 60mph on the speedo equals in real life, that would be fine. But any suggestions on remedying the bouncing aspect?

I'm sure these two questions will be followed by a gazillion others after I get the car.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear Member
Default RE: Speedometer and fuel gauge issues

ORIGINAL: dbx
First the gas gauge- Is this just a matter of replacing a sending unit, which I'd guess invloves taking off the gas tank? Or could it be something even simpler (I wish)?
kind of tough to say, but let's give it a shot....if it does work some of the times, I would take a guess and say that the gage is ok. is your car a solid car? the reason I ask is that, if your car experienced a lot of rust in it's life, there is a chance that your terminals above the tank are corroded. if your gage is just real bouncy, it could be your sending unit

if you decide to go with a new sending unit, you will need one that reads 90 ohms as full and 0 ohms as empty

taking the take down is real easy. there are just two tank straps that are held on with bolts near the back bumper. just undo the nuts and let it come down.

The speedometer: Of course, there's 15" wheels which will make it innacurate to begin with. Seems like a bouncing speedo is something I can recall from cars during teenage days. As long as I have a general idea of what say, 60mph on the speedo equals in real life, that would be fine. But any suggestions on remedying the bouncing aspect?
first off, the rims have nothing to do with your inacuracies. the 15" rims are probablystock and they are what you should have. it's the tire height that changes your readings. all you probably need it a new cable and you "should" be mint

Old 05-15-2007, 10:51 AM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks, 1969. Since I posted this I've been searching the net for answers. It appears that the grounding wire for the tank is a common issue that causes problems with the gauge indicator, as you basically suggested. Again, I don't have the car in my possession yet, but if the tank looks old/beat up, I might just replace it...along with a new sending unit. Which reminds me to ask....I found a site where I can get a 18gl tank for $84....and another site which a stainless steel one costs $700+. Does $84 sound about right for a typical, standard tank?

And for the speedometer (I didn't find anything on my own this morning), thanks for the reply. That would be cool if it's just the cable. I'll find out in a couple weeks.

Okay, while I'm at it: This car has a built 350 (bored .030 over) and is a 4 speed...but doesn't have a tach in the car. Would it be advisable to install one or is this just a preference?

Side note: I'm going to keep asking a million questions, but trust me...I learn pretty quick...and I'll always "give back" to this community when I'm capable of answering other's questions.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

$84 sounds a little too cheap. is it some made in China piece? sometimes with stuff like that you are better buying the more expensive parts to save time, money and aggravation in the long run

a tach is not really needed if you aren't racing the car up to it's higher RPM limits. if you are pinching pennies you are better-off getting an oil pressure gage. that is your engine's lifeblood

Old 05-16-2007, 01:42 PM
dbx
In the Staging Lanes

ORIGINAL: 1969 SS

$84 sounds a little too cheap. is it some made in China piece? sometimes with stuff like that you are better buying the more expensive parts to save time, money and aggravation in the long run

a tach is not really needed if you aren't racing the car up to it's higher RPM limits. if you are pinching pennies you are better-off getting an oil pressure gage. that is your engine's lifeblood
The tank is zinc plated. Since I posted this question, I've searched and found more sites for info and for parts/prices. I've seen the same tank elsewhere (looked just like it with little description) for $109.

Thanks on the tach advice. The car does have aftermarket temp, oil, volt gauges that work, so I'm covered there. I've read a LOT of info on replacing the speedo and/or cable, as well as the sending unit from the tank. It seems a lot of folks have similar, as well as different issues....especially with the speedo cable and lubing it. Some say wheel bearing grease and others swear by lubri...something (can't recall now). Some said the bearing grease can stiffen up in colder climates.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:27 AM

I have the same problem with my guage, maybe its the grounding wire, where is it. or where should it be and what should it look like ? My tank was removed and re-lined and looks in good condition but there is something a miss as the gauge doesn't work ?

Old 06-16-2007, 06:31 AM
1st Gear Member

Unless your 69 Camaro was an original Z/28, 15" rims were not stock, all 69 Camaros except the Z/28 came with 14" wheels. While you can adjust for larger rims with tire sizes to give the same final diameter (or come fairly close) if you don't achieve exactly that final diameter your speedo will be inaccurate. Other solutions to adjusting the speedo are also available, there were different speedo drive gears available back then. All that said, your "bouncing" speedo sounds like a cable issue, either intermittent binding of the inner cable on the outer sheath or worn (slightly rounded) endswhere it attaches to the speedo drive gear or to the speedo itself.
Clyde

Old 06-16-2007, 11:39 PM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Racegoer

I have the same problem with my guage, maybe its the grounding wire, where is it. or where should it be and what should it look like ? My tank was removed and re-lined and looks in good condition but there is something a miss as the gauge doesn't work ?
the wire to your gage is on top of the sending unit (on top of the tank) and it is just brazed on there so it it kind of a weak link