Some advice required

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Default Some advice required

I'm not an expert in parts and accessories available on the market so am looking for advice.
I'mconsidering buying a 1967 RS/SS which has a 327 stroked out to 350 and 4 spd box. It's been built tough on the bottom end and can handle most any type of intake/carb/cam you want to throw at it.

It currently belongs to a guy who restores cars for a hobby, but he wants to sell as is because he needs to money to continue another car.

For me this will just be a fun car, so horsepower is more important that fuel economy.

The car is mechanically fine buy needs some parts replaced.

1. The intake manifold is not suitable to get the performance out of the engine. What type of intake would you suggest. Edlebrock ? Any specific capacity or model number ?

2. The carb also needs to be replaced. Which make and capacity (cfm) of carb would go with a good sized intake so as to get some really good HP out of the engine ?

3. It needs some roller rockers. Which brand is good ? Which rocker cover brand is good ? (the cheap ones often leak)

4. It has a mechanical distributor. Which brand and model of electronic distributor is reliable and won't fail me if I get the engine to high revs ?

5. I'm not sure what the compression is, but I am told it's fairly tight. I would like to get somewhere up to 400HP out of the engine. Can you think of any other mods whereby I can squeeze out some more HP without going too radical (no supercharger nor NOx).

6. The car sitslower at the rear on the passenger side. There's less distance between the top of the tyre and the bottom of the wheel arch. Is this adjustable or would I have to replace something ?

7. It also scraped fairly easily over a relatively low speed hump, so I am not sure if the front end has been lowered. I'd like to correct that, so the vehicle doesn't scrape so often. Does anyone know the standard height of the front end of a 67 Camaro ?

8. The dash doesn't have a Tach. Do you know anyone who sells good replacement kits and wiring ? Or perhaps original equipment reconditioned and guaranteed ?

Note: for points 1 to 5, I would prefer to keep the total price below $2000 if possible.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr
Default RE: Some advice required

There are a bunch of brand out there. Any are fine, depends on your aplication and preferance. Do they have to be roller rockers? I am not sure what a rocker cover is, valve cover maybe? I reccomend an SVDA dizzy, vacume advance. Mechanical ones tend to have a spot where the mechanics are trying to catch up to the vortex of the carb and you get a temperary lope in accelaration, the vacume ones work directly with the carb and you get better throttle responce, the up side to a mechanical one is you set it and walk away. The suspension on your car might need to be completely gone through and replaced, its 40 years old. You will most defffinately go over your 2k budget.