Smaller wiper motor options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 05:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by manicmechanic007
Those sure are some nice looking valve covers 1st Gen
He has tall covers on his
With a stud girdle and guide plates you usually cannot run a stock height valve cover
You need spacers or tall covers
So, on yours 1st Gen, with full roller rockers and no clearance issues... What rockers are you using and do you have guide plates?
My engine was built in Jan 2021, and I did not see it when it came in as a long block. Here’s a lo-res picture of it when received by my restoration shop:

I called the engine building shop today, but they won’t have access to its build sheet until Monday, and my care is minimal, so I’ll wait until I finally receive my finished car, when I will be provided with a complete list of parts with brands.

The engine shop guy thinks that, given what the additive was for upgrade to roller rockers, they are probably comp pro magnums, and are probably self aligning given my intent to keep RPMs coincident with my age. So probably no guide plates, and stay away from 7K RPMs and floating my valves. I did go with the low end of a stage 4 cam. So, we did have to up the idle a bit…

We shot for a build at around 425HP, corresponding torque, and recognition that a 1968 Camaro SS396 was NOT a race car, and this restoration is to original design. Philosophically, if I wanted a car that performs like a modern Camaro, I would have bought a modern Camaro, for (amazingly) about the same amount of money. I voted “rude and crude” and stayed with original design.

I love the valve covers, which are built to shed heat while also looking good. They are built by Ground Up Motors with a PN of 396TJVC and were somewhere north of $250.00.

Oh, and regarding Gorn’s comment about HEI clearance to firewall: we found, after installing the front sub-frame with motor and tranny, that we could not rotate the HEI animal due to cap tabs meeting with firewall. So, rather than beat my firewall into submission, B&R Auto uninstalled the whole shebang, cut out the offending area of firewall, welded in a recessed piece, did amazing bodywork, repainted the now-recessed area of firewall, and it looks like the factory built it that way. Three cheers for my restoration shop!!!