Side Mirror fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Side Mirror fix

Anyone have any luck or "help tips" that they have used on the side mirror ? I have one on the drivers door that I bought years ago repo. The chrome and glass look good on it but the head {mirror part} is sloppy and swivels around and drives me crazy. You get out of the car and shut the door and the mirror moves side ways etc. drives me crazy. I guess it's just a cheap import item but if I buy another one to replace it I'm wondering if it'll be the same way.
So it has me thinking of ways to "fix it" or keep it from moving around and wonder if anyone else has had this type of issues. I keep a car cover on my car 90% of the time in the garage so that might have helped the mirror head to become looser maybe ??

Old 02-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

when I bought my Camaro there were three things in the trunk.... a spare tire, a box with new hood insulation in it and a brand new side mirror. I thought this was odd because the one on the Car looked just fine to me. I have been so focused on everything else that it wasnt until last week that I looked into the Mirror Mystery while I was puttin on my new Door Panels. Yep, the one on the door looked fine but its a cheap piece of crap. so, I took it off and put the new one on. lol, guess what, even though its brand new (well, its been in the trunk for 5 years) its the same piece of crap. unfortunately theres no brand name anywhere on it nor on the box (Im sure Chinese made). now mine is the one with the cable thats adjustable from inside the car and my new Door panels dont have anywhere to put the adjuster so I just tie strapped it down in the door. but Ive already noticed when the door is shut, the mirror moves. I looked inside of it and theres no way to "tighten it up". New Mirror is way at the bottom of my list but I assume I will be doing a little research to find a good quality one.

Last edited by Scooch; 02-03-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

All the repo mirrors are like that. They all suck.

Morris Classic Concepts just came up with a new design that is supposed to solve this problem... (read this Mirror Problems Solved )

I plan to order a set myself.

I've purchased their 3-point seat belts/shoulder belts for my 69 Camaro. They make quality stuff.

Last edited by 77thor; 02-03-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It's not that I want others to have trouble or problems with things that I have trouble with. But talking "cars" and brain storming together and sharing information to one and another. Is what makes this forum Rock and so very useful.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Might wanna try adjusting the mirror and carefully remove it. Then put a drop or two of loctite in the pivot gap and let it sit face down overnight. That may be enough to stiffen it up if you don't go overboard fiddling with the mirror movement.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:30 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Scooch
when I bought my Camaro there were three things in the trunk.... a spare tire, a box with new hood insulation in it and a brand new side mirror. I thought this was odd because the one on the Car looked just fine to me. I have been so focused on everything else that it wasnt until last week that I looked into the Mirror Mystery while I was puttin on my new Door Panels. Yep, the one on the door looked fine but its a cheap piece of crap. so, I took it off and put the new one on. lol, guess what, even though its brand new (well, its been in the trunk for 5 years) its the same piece of crap. unfortunately theres no brand name anywhere on it nor on the box (Im sure Chinese made). now mine is the one with the cable thats adjustable from inside the car and my new Door panels dont have anywhere to put the adjuster so I just tie strapped it down in the door. but Ive already noticed when the door is shut, the mirror moves. I looked inside of it and theres no way to "tighten it up". New Mirror is way at the bottom of my list but I assume I will be doing a little research to find a good quality one.
I know what you mean my 68 also has the remote mirror option. I ruined on door panel cutting the hole for the swivel bezel. There is a screw adjustment that tightens the housing of the mirror on the arm. My loosens up from time to time. It's just a pain adjusting it with the swivel in the car but its a neat option.