restore matching number or play with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Default restore matching number or play with?

Hello all and thanks for looking/responding. I have had a 68 Camaro since 06 was suppose to be father/son project. When we got into the car (its very rusty) plan was to gut/4 link and play with the car. But when we started pulling it apart we noticed that it was all numbers matching... its nothing special 327, 2 speed. gold with gold interior but what was odd to me was the driver who dropped it off *ebay purchase* said the old lady he got it from said it hadn't been started since 1970.. and sure enough can still see the machining marks in the cylinder walls with >30k miles on dash. is something of this nature worth putting back to stock and looking for a different chassis to toy with?

Old 07-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You will get all kinds of opinion. SO here is mine. The only way to get money for a plain Jane numbers match car is to have it in show or near show condition. To get what I consider a rusty car to near show condition will cost you more then what the car would be worth when its done.

You can crate up the original motor trans and rear for future use just incase but if your cutting it up it seems like a waste of effort but who know future value. 30 years ago most guys didn't spend the $20 to transfer the title when they bought a first gen to build a track only car. Now they are out 5-7k for a shell.

Another option might be to trade for a already started project. If you find the right situation you may find someone that has a project with a lot of good parts who changed their mind and now want something original.

If your really feeling guilty about it put it up for sale on craigs list for 15% more then you paid for it for 30 day. No takers, hey you tried.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-13-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:16 PM

I've been on both sides of this situation. My first Camaro was a 69 RS. I had planned to cut it up and pro-street it, but upon disassembly, found it to be an original RS. I just couldn't bring myself to cut up an RS, so I tucked it back into the garage and looked for something else. Later found a 74 Z/28 that someone else had cut up, which worked out well for me. My latest find has also been cut up, so I don't/won't feel bad about any modifications I do to it.
Still, if all numbers match and it's that low mileage, I might be inclined to save that one...

Old 09-26-2017, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm going to go the other way. My '67 plan jane (with deluxe int) was the basic Maroon with Black interior. 327 2 spd - nothing real special except it was a matching # car and pretty clean.
Now ... I've changed the color, gone with pro-touring suspension & brakes, motor has been built and I went with a T350 tranny just because one was there when I was picking up my 10 bolt posi rear end.
The money for this car will only be in the same range as it was stock but now pretty bad ***. Since I didn't go the LS motor route (maybe some day) I don't expect this car to ever be a $60k car, but when I drive it I'll be sure to be wearing a chit eating grin from ear to ear. =)
that's my 2 cents. If it was something else when new? I'd keep it that way. But plane janes were made for builders.

Old 09-27-2017, 11:45 AM

I fully respect that, and would like to point out that I'd only had a sip of coffee when I posted earlier - you're correct, plain janes WERE made for builders

Old 09-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CO68Camaro
I fully respect that, and would like to point out that I'd only had a sip of coffee when I posted earlier - you're correct, plain janes WERE made for builders
Plane Jane I'd have at it and make it as you like it. If it was a special car like an SS/RS or a COPO or something maybe not unless already butchered.
The only exception I'd make for a plane car is a low mile clean survivor.