Replacing seats in 69 Camaro, need advise

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Default Replacing seats in 69 Camaro, need advise

My 15 year old son and I are working on his 69 Camaro and purchased the Houndstooth interior. We would like to replace the seat covers on our own, but are not sure if this is a good project for 2 inexperienced restorers. Can anyoneadviseif we should try to tackle this project or hire it out. If we do it is there a web site with step by step process (I do have a book but it is too general for my comfort, I like step by step details). Does anyone have any ideawhat we should expect to pay if we have it done professionaly? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:46 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Replacing seats in 69 Camaro, need advise

I think that it is great that you are working with your son on the car..As for the seat covers, the procedure isn't too bad, the most important part is to have the cover put on tightly..I'm sure you alreadyknow that but if the covers are not seemed correctly and pulled tight enough the job will look horribleand you'll have to start over. The job itself is not that hard just be sure to follow your steps and double check things before you finalize it.

*good luck to you and your son*

Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It's not a terribly difficult job, if you're the least bit mechanically inclined. Pay attention to how the old ones come off, and take pictures if you think that may help later. You absolutely want to replace the worn out seatfoam as well, otherwise you'll wind up with saggy looking, mis-fitting seats. Also, let the covers set out in the sun for a couple of hours before installing them. That will make them more pliable and a lot easier to work with.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 PM

Thanks for responding, I think this is something we will give a try.I like the idea of letting the covers sit in the sun, that makes sense. I also gather that it will be good to have one seat next to me as we work on the first as a pattern. Any thoughts on burlap? We did not get any with the kit and assume we will need this, but somewhere my son read you can use cotton instead. All ideas and suggestions are appreciated. We may try to tackle this project this weekend.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:28 AM

Please let me know. As I understand it and I have no manual to look through, you disassemble the seat to get the old covering off, replace the foam, and put the new cover on using hog clips, being very mindful to keep the covering tight so as to avoid any wrinkles. I have a 69 I just bought and will be doing this in the next few months so I am very interested to know how it goes for you and your son. It looks like an easy project to tackle. Best of luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Another quick tip is head to Home Depot or local hardware store and get a roll of wire a little thicker than a coat hanger, when you do your planning, you can see where the hog rings will clip around the exsisting wire. I rebent new wire alongside the old wire because I had a few weak spots that started to bend as I was pulling and tugging on the cover to get a tight fit, the extra support wire will prevent the hog ring pulling thru the original wire and giving you a loose fit.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:59 PM

Minengr, did you attempt this project over the weekend? Curious how things went. Have heard that a good pair of hog ring pliers make all the difference in the world.

SS396, great advice. I have also heard that it is very helpful to cover the seat with a trashbag when trying to put the new seat covers on. It will help ease installation and when installed, you don't even have to remove the trashbag--it stays on and is unnoticeable. Does anyone know where I can find information on how to recover the seats? I will soon be recovering my seats and am searching for the details. Thanks in advance.