Rear Shock Issue leaning?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 07:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Rear Shock Issue leaning?

OK, So I went for a Drive yesterday and went out today to grab a soda from the garage and it seemed like the drivers side rear was sitting lower than I remembered... so I open the garage door and walk out about 15 ft behind and sure enough it has a noticeble LEAN to the drivers side??? WTH... I think most of these cars lean a touch due to the drivers being the majority of the passengers! and occasional passenger...

BUt this is an inch or two? This car is a frame off car and the Leaf Springs still have the stickers on them? Does the Shock play a big part in the Stance of the Car? Could the Left Rear Shock be faulty?

What should I do to correct this lean?

Old 03-28-2010, 10:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Shocks do not affect ride height unless they are airshocks Did you not check this car out before you bought it? Seems like you are having a lot of issues with car. It is just a clone, right? If it's the real deal I would'nt be changing things

Old 03-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The shocks dont hold up the car, unless they're air shocks. Could be a front or rear spring, or a shackle mount broke. Another thought would be when the suspension parts were replaced and tightened up, if the car was in the air it could be settling down on you. When bushings are replaced, the car wants to be setting on the tires before everything is buttoned down tight. Getting under the car and comparing the left and right side might tell you something.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM

I have got the same problem - my left (1969 Camaro SS) sits anywhere between 1/2 to 3/4 lower than my right. I have replaced all the bolts, shackles, bushings, springs and shocks - and it still leans. It was tightened up in the ground, so I know the bushings aren't in a bind. I have had it up on the rack and cannot find anything that would cause it to lean... Would a sway bar help to level it out? Would a shackle extension work? Does anyone have any ideas?

Old 03-29-2010, 04:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I checked this morning and the drivers front bumper is about an inch and 1/2 lower that the Drivers side... I think the Leaf springs should be fine they are all new? I do know they used small block springs up front and then put some turn in coil spacers up front to get the car up a little... Maybe that drivers side spacer came out? I need to get new springs up front and do it right but might have to throw another spacer in to get it to level out...? What a PITA... I bought a Frame off car and I'm still getting nickeld and dimed to death... I guess they are all money pits. just some pits are deeper...

Old 03-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Pits are deeper...good one!
You can't trust the bumper as a measuring point, it could be mounted a little off for all you know. You need to measure to a set point like the frame. Could be you lost a spring spacer, those twist in ones don't last. Did you happen to hear a "twang" while you were out?

Old 03-30-2010, 08:28 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, I did hear some noise when I hit the brakes once? Maybe I lost a spacer?

I'm really at a lose with what I should do with the stance... I fear putting new Big Block springs might make it look too high in the front?

Has anyone tried those BB coils that are lowered 2 inches?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I have a feeling you already have less than normal small block springs, especially considering you have spacers and it still looks low. Your car looks way lower than mine, and I'm riding with 6 cyl. springs. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if replacing yours with new small block springs would raise it up noticeably. I have heard many times from other people I know where they replaced their springs with "stock rated replacements" and the front end winds up way high. Then they end up whacking off part of a coil to bring it back down to a normal stance.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Just jack it up and count the spacers that are in each side. Also make note of where each spacer is, as this can affect ride height too! Back in the '60's and '70's those were really popular to raise the front spring height, and I had friends who said they could change height just by locating one in a different coil location and still use the same number.
I agree with Camaro 69 on changing to stock small block springs. If they are brand new they'll probably be about perfect for a big block, and better than what you have now.