PUKED my engine over the Weekend... Any sugesstions on new motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 AM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MS69 YENKO/4-SPEED

I'm going to venture to say with a killer motor and the minor issues addressed this will be one hell of a nice car worth a little more than 15k...

I never said it would only be worth 15g with a new motor!
what i was thinking was i hope this guy didnt spend 30-50 grand on a pretty paint job and some new carpet.
dose it have a 12 bolt posi or an open 12 bolt?
dose it have an m22 or an m20?
if they skimped on the engine and springs where else did they half *** stuff??
whenever i buy a car its for the condition of the body/frame, never what color or if it has a bb or not. I learned along time ago you can save a butt load of money that way!!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

It seems like the guy built a "look alike" not a "clone". There is a difference.
Yours as a "clone" would be a regular car that is built to exacting specs down to every last nut and bolt and feature to recreate a special optioned car. Even a trained eye would have to look at it closely.
A "look alike" is one that has the badges, 427 engine labels, and other noticeable markings to make it "look like" the real thing at first glance. A trained eye would be able to spot it in an instant.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by burnt68
i bet a guy could find a nice rustfree 69 either 6 banger or 307 type car for 15,000 range and drop in a bb and there you go!
here is one a yenko clone with an acctual 427 that i bet the reserve is the starting bid of 30g!! (frame off resto as well)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...item2a060ba225

not saying your car isnt nice just hope you werent into it for 25 or up with all the issues!!!
Rustfree and Frame Off are two completely different worlds...

I bet a guy could find a frame off restored car... period...for no less than 25k... if you find a frame off new everything car for 15k I suggest you buy it...I have never found one...

The Resto on this ebay car was 7 yrs ago... mine was 2009 and the reserve is not hit yet... And I bet it does not sell for less than 40-45k...

And what are all these issues you are referring? Yes it needs new springs and a engine built... Other than that I asked about hood clearance and thought the rear shocks were to blame before I found out the front springs had spacers and was missing a spacer on the drivers side...

So I'm completely happy with ALL the problems my car has...

I'm not trying to Slam you... but you really can not be that ignorant to think this car is only a 15k car... I know you are trying to make a point but come on... if this was a 15k car they would be like A$$holes...everybody would have one....

to be completely honest I have about 30k in the car all said and done... minus the super 6k engine about to be put in the car... And I'm stoked to have such a nice 69.

Your car is sweet but Im not putting a $ valule on it for you.... but if mine is a 15k car...whats yours....?

but thanks for all your input...

Old 04-10-2010, 08:25 AM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by MS69 YENKO/4-SPEED
Rustfree and Frame Off are two completely different worlds...

I bet a guy could find a frame off restored car... period...for no less than 25k... if you find a frame off new everything car for 15k I suggest you buy it...I have never found one...

The Resto on this ebay car was 7 yrs ago... mine was 2009 and the reserve is not hit yet... And I bet it does not sell for less than 40-45k...

And what are all these issues you are referring? Yes it needs new springs and a engine built... Other than that I asked about hood clearance and thought the rear shocks were to blame before I found out the front springs had spacers and was missing a spacer on the drivers side...

So I'm completely happy with ALL the problems my car has...

I'm not trying to Slam you... but you really can not be that ignorant to think this car is only a 15k car... I know you are trying to make a point but come on... if this was a 15k car they would be like A$$holes...everybody would have one....

to be completely honest I have about 30k in the car all said and done... minus the super 6k engine about to be put in the car... And I'm stoked to have such a nice 69.

Your car is sweet but Im not putting a $ valule on it for you.... but if mine is a 15k car...whats yours....?

but thanks for all your input...

dont want to get into a debate over rustfree/frame offs etc..
you said it yourself yours was a frame off everything new nut and bolt in 09
exept for the weak **** 454 and the front springs with helper plugs in them, and thought you mentioned rear spring issues if not my mistake.
your right a true nut bolt frame off sells for 40-50g but i was thinking maybe thats what you had in it then on top of that you had to replace motor,springs etc...
it is a beatiful car either way enjoy it!
P.S. mine was 9200 needs paint and some interior work(carpet and console) and i replaced every thing from the rad to the rear. fresh 355,muncie m20,12 bolt posi
3:31 i still have all the original numbers motor trans and rear for the car.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:51 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

I think its just symantics, but when I hear 'frame off' and 'Camaro' in the same sentance I walk away... just me though. Like I said, semantics... its a 'sub frame', or even 'front end off resto'...

To the OP, its your car dude, do what makes you happy, personaly I like the look of it. I like the clone loof, if its done right - otherwise, like 69 said, its just a look-a-like. If it were me, I would drop in a late model mill that gets good gas milage and cruise it - again just me - keep the exterior a yenko look and be happy.
Since its not the origional mill it really doesnt matter about value, right?

EDIT:
almost forgot

1. Questions, Should I stay with 427 since its a YENKO CLONE?
Again, I would drop in an ls1 and call it a day (or even a 327 for gas milage purposes)

2. What is a Good Streetable HP? I was thinking around 500..?
I am all about fuel aconomy, so I say its a bit much. Unless you are going to take it to the track from time to time.

3. At what HP do you need to put on Sub Frame connectors?
I like the look of them, so any hp, just me though. realisticly though, 350 or above (from what I remember as a general rule)

4. Is having a full roller system worth the extra cost for a street motor?
Not sure what you mean.

5. Any one know any engine builders in the Houston Area that they would recommend? or anywhere for that matter... I guess an engine can be shipped to the speedshop doing the install.
Nope, sorry

6. Any things you consider "MUST HAVES" on an engien build... 4 Bolt mains...Balanced...Roller...etc?
If you have to ask.... This question from you makes me wonder a few things. The answer though, depends on what you are looking for in the car and what you have to start with. A 350 with f mains is a good place to start, if its an older engine (not crate). But, this is a broad question with many answers.

7. Builders are telling me they can get the HP I want with Iron heads...But should I upgrade to Aluminum?
I have an old set of HIPO iron heads, 'double hump' or 'camel hump' heads. They were the bomb back in the day... but now-a-days even the low budget aluminum heads will flow better, go with aluminum.

8. Any crate engines you recommend? I'm trying to stay under 5k for the motor! I already have a great Carb and Intake so All i need is the Long Block!
gmperfomance, JEGS, Summit etc... all have decent crate engines.

Good luck, keep up updated.

Last edited by cplthomas; 04-14-2010 at 04:59 PM.