Prepping/ Installing carpet

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Default Prepping/ Installing carpet

I put this in the introductions section, but I figure I'd repost it here:

I just picked up a '68 350/powerglide project that is complete except for the interior. Given the floors are pretty nice, and I'm not that handy I figured I'd prep the floors and put in some carpet.

My questions are:

1. What sort of sandpaper should I use on the floors? Should I invest in a power sander? If so, what kind? Are there any other tools I should get to start the floor prep?

2. I plan on painting the floor, then installing a sound-deadener, then carpet. What paint should I use? (I was thinking primer) What sort of deadener, and what kind of adhesive?

3. The car is an auto on the column and I'd like to switch it to the floor and add a console. Should I wait on the carpet until I make the switch? If I later cut a hole to add the floor shifter, can I just cut through the carpet?

I know these are some basic questions, but I am a newbie.

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 AM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would prime then paint with a flat type paint not gloss, let dry well 48 hrs or more.
most descent carpet kits have deadner pre installed on the carpet but you can always use others as well. your choice.
what i did was layed the carpet in the car for a day or so then pulled it up at sides and sprayed automotive carpet adhesive down under it and layed it back down then used sand bags,books,whatever you have to hold it in place and form the tight fitting areas such as near the hump etc..
keeps bubbles from popping up while glue dries, then i stuck a dental pick type tool through the bottum of carpet through the holes in the floor for say the seats etc. slid a leather punch over the pick and tapped with a hammer . It makes nice clean holes for easy bolt access and no cutting and flaps of carpet sticking up.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't know what conditions your floors are in, mine were in pretty good shape so I just used a wire wheel on a drill. Unlike Burnt I did not use any primer I simply took a roller and a quart of Por15 allowing it to dry for a couple of days.

I'm not a big fan of Dyna-mat, so for sound deadening material I used Pilates Mats...they are cheap, easy on the knees and work great. I cut out 2" inch squares for the seat frames/belts, high beams, console bolts, and behind the gas pedal. I ran strips along the rocker panel, used a 3 strip combo for the tranny tunnel and did not apply any in the area for the seat slider **** and along the top of the door sills.

To keep it all in place I used a tube of silicon and just dabbed it all in place.

My car had a factory console so I have the bracket on the tunnel which meant I had to make cut for the carpet to lay down all the way and relax for a couple of days.

Some kits have a hole with rubber grommet for the high beam button, some don't. A good reference point for where the front carpet should end is around the front of the seat slider ****.

I placed a piece of masking tape over the holes for reference, then took a hand full of phillips head screwdrivers and starting with the console bolt tapped them through so the carpet wouldn't move while I was widening the holes for the bolts. I also wire wheeled the bolts and sprayed them with a can of flat black.

All that was left was some minor trimming along the sills and kick panels.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 AM
jno
In the Staging Lanes

so good you had to post it twice?? LOL