paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default paint

well took my 68 camaro to the vintage paint shop saturday and wanted to paint the car tuxedo black the price is 4500.00 for all ,and i saw a chevelle the guys are restoring and the paint is
brandy wine and they told me for a few hundred more they would paint the car brandy wine color.
i don't know what to do because the seats are bergundy and the brandy wine would match better than black i guess, but when i resell the car what would be more apealing to sell.
i mean whitch would sell faster black with a bergundy r/s stripe, or brandy wine with no stripe.
need some input, thanks.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM
February 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default RE: paint

Are you building the car to sell or drive? If to sell, go with the most popular. If you plan on driving the car paint it to your taste. Personally I would paint it the color I like best. If I did sell and a prospective buyer cried about color, too bad. Tell him go find one in his color and quit wasting your time.

BTW: $4500 is quite reasonable if the shop does quality work and uses good materials (depending on condition of car). Where are you located?

Old 02-11-2008, 07:29 AM
1st Gear Member

If you are only choosing between black or brandywine, then I personally,believe that black is a better selling color. But black does show more flaws and requires more prep work than lighter colors. Also, what is the original color? If it was one of the better selling, more popular colors, then I would suggest painting it that color.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:06 PM
In the Staging Lanes

we are in nashville tn, and the shop only paints vintage cars and the mixing station is all dupont paint suplies.
the owner gave me a tour of the shop and suprisingly they had a nice place.
the owner asured me that i would be very pleased with the results on the car when it was completed.
black is more popular at the time of resale i do agree, but brandy wine sure looks very nice.
in reply , i am going to drive the car for a good while, and then maby sell.
the camaro has been restored before and is in realy good shape, all factory interior,"except the bergundy volour seats,new 80 % quarters, factory doors, decklid,and fenders, with just a small amount of rust on the doors.
all factory metal underneath except rear floorpans,
well i think i made up my mind on the paint i will go with brandy wine to match the interior
and when resale comes about it will sell to someone at some point in time, and if i do not sell it i will still have somthing that few people will ever own,

a 1968 camaro ss clone

thanks for the replies fellas,it was apreciated

Old 02-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Finish pics please. I would like to see this color. Will you do the RS strip in black?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:01 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1stgenssclone

the owner gave me a tour of the shop and suprisingly they had a nice place.
if you were "surprised" the shop was nice, why did you even bother going there in the first place?
the owner asured me that i would be very pleased with the results on the car when it was completed.
is any owner going to come out and tell you "we're going to work on your car, charge you full price, and when we're done, you definitely won't like it. so when you dropping it off?"