Oil Leak from Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 08:51 PM
Default Oil Leak from Oil Filter

I have a REALLY bad oil leak. I have a 1969 Camaro.. 307 engine... about 130K on the odometer ...I had let it sit over the winter so I decided to give it an oil change. Started the car back a few months ago, it ran fine. Turned it off and came back out and restarted it again. After about 30 seconds I heard a big splash and looked under the car and had a major puddle under the car. I Pushed it back in the garage, took off the filter and put it back on thinking maybe i did not put it on tight enough. Put more oil in it and it poured another 4 quarts all over the garage in a matter of seconds. At first I thought it might have been the rear main seal as that looked like where the oil was coming from, So I put a camera under the car and started it again. I was finally able to see the oil dripping from the around the oil filter. So again, I took the filter off and replaced the oil filter adapter because I read somewhere that it may have cracked. Again, installed a new filter and same thing, oil spewed out in seconds. I pulled the filter off an checked to make sure that there was no extra gasket from the last filter and it wasn't, but I did notice when I pulled the filter off that the rubber gasket was off the filter. So I bought another filter. I just put it on, filled it with oil, started it up and sure enough, it blew out the filter gasket again. Has anyone heard f the oil pressure getting that high and blowing out the oil filter? Is there a blockage somewhere? What ever suggestions you have i would be grateful!

Old 03-30-2021, 05:39 AM
4th Gear Member

Yes, pressure can blow out a filter. Remove all old gasket from block, as filter seals against block, Filter screws onto the filter bypass, as said, filter seals against block.

Has a visual inspection been done? Look for the obvious, oil pressure sensor under distributor good?
Other areas of engine dry?
Could oil be coming from rear main seal, bellhousing area, flywheel wey?

Old 03-30-2021, 02:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Do you still have the old oil filter?
from what you described, it sounds like the rubber gasket separated from the old filter and stayed on the block. It's an easy fix, just spin off the filter and remove one of the gaskets then put the filter back on.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:16 AM

I did check the oil pressure sensor and there was no leaks there and I originally thought it was the rear main seal as when it first started leaking the oil was spraying into the side of the engine that I thought it was coming from there. Once I replaced the filter, I put my phone down there and videoed the leak as it happened. and it was coming from all around the filter. So I thought maybe there was a crack in the oil adapter or the seal from the other filter was still on. I replaced the filter with another new one and filmed it again. This time it waited about 10 seconds before the oil filter did a little bulge and the filter seal blew out again. I got that one on video. So ther seems to be way too much pressure. On all the reading I have been doing, I came across another one where someone had replaced the oil pump as one of the valves ended up being stuck. Does that seem right to you? I think that might be my next option. Thanks for your input...

Old 04-01-2021, 08:19 AM

I was hoping it was an easy fix like that and it seemed that obvious, but there was no leftover filter gasket left over. I even had my son double check me just to make sure I was not missing anything. I am beginning to think it might be the oil pump being stuck and causing too much pressure. Here is what I put in one of my other replies -

I did check the oil pressure sensor and there was no leaks there and I originally thought it was the rear main seal as when it first started leaking the oil was spraying into the side of the engine that I thought it was coming from there. Once I replaced the filter, I put my phone down there and videoed the leak as it happened. and it was coming from all around the filter. So I thought maybe there was a crack in the oil adapter or the seal from the other filter was still on. I replaced the filter with another new one and filmed it again. This time it waited about 10 seconds before the oil filter did a little bulge and the filter seal blew out again. I got that one on video. So ther seems to be way too much pressure. On all the reading I have been doing, I came across another one where someone had replaced the oil pump as one of the valves ended up being stuck. Does that seem right to you? I think that might be my next option. Thanks for your input...

Old 04-02-2021, 06:05 AM
4th Gear Member

Test oil pressure with gauge and since its a '69, there should be a 1/8" plug above water pump for testing.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:58 PM

Finally getting back to this. I have had the oil leak repaired and it ended up being that the Oil pump spring was stuck in the closed position and not allowing the oil to pass through and was causing the oil pressure to go so high to blow the oil gaskets out. So the oil pump was replaced and everything is running great now. I have finally got my Camaro on the road after 12 years. No I can't stop driving it. Just thought I would leave an update in case some one else runs into this. Thank you all for the advice.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:06 PM
4th Gear Member

Wow,how unusual! Glad to hear it was resolved.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:42 PM
4th Gear Member

Thank you for the update. Now enjoy the cruise,

Old 01-06-2022, 08:50 AM

Hello. I'm glad you solved your problem this way. I had the same problem on a business trip when I was in Norway. My 2001 Chevrolet Silverado started to have a severe oil leak. Filled the entire engine. Unfortunately, the oil filter and oil in Oslo were unavailable. I had to wait for the best 0w-20 synthetic oil from https://davesoilchange.com/0w-20-synthetic-oil/ although the parcel went for two weeks, the replacement ended well and I continued to do my favorite thing.