New interior project

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member
Default New interior project

My interior was redone over the course of several years about two decades ago, and the years have not been kind to it. Mice ate some, I made mistakes in the build, and the methods and materials aren't up to today's standards. So, after I did the other stuff, subframe tie-in, cage, new gas tank, new wheels and tires, it is now time for the interior.

Subframe tie-in
https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-general-43/subframe-tie-project-40543/

Gas tank project
https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-general-43/gas-tank-project-39806/

I had already cut the dash out years ago, and built a sheet metal dash. Now that had to come out to get to the stereo, a Kenwood unit that was fully integrated - the head unit used special cables to connect to the graphic equalizer, which itself used special cables to connect to the amps in the trunk. Since I was doing a new speaker setup, all of it had to come out, and the head unit takes cassette tapes, a little modernization was in order. I went to Best Buy and got a bunch of stuff - head unit, 12" subwoofer, 6x9 package tray speakers, 6.25" componnent door speakers, amp, wires, etc, and took it all to the interior guy.

The heater was also in the way, so I stripped it out. I'll be installing a weld-in plate later, and a Moab Extreme heater from Summit. You can see the mess left by the mice - they ate the heater fan!

The old heater out of the way, and the ignition moved up on the firewall for now.

The interior lightly reassembled, new stereo in place.

Attached Thumbnails New interior project-011.jpg   New interior project-012.jpg   New interior project-013.jpg   New interior project-014.jpg  

Last edited by hkunz; 08-31-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Very cool. We are about to start working on the stereo in mine as well. Looks great.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 AM
1st Gear Member

A few more "before" pics. I stopped by the upholstery shop last night on the way home from work - the entire interior is stripped out, something I haven't seen in 25 years or so.

On a humorous note - my wife actually asked if we could keep the swap-meet diamond tuck vinyl interior, because she liked it She wasn't at all concerned about losing the leather "40th Anniversary" Ruby Red Corvette seat coverings

We are going with a garnet "Lumina" vinyl material, and the paint stripes reflected in the interior with a matching cloth in burgundy. The swatch books are on the seat.

As always happens, i broke a brake line prepping the car, so I cut it off and put Vise Grips on the line. Just one more thing to fix when I get it home. Should make for good brake burnouts

Attached Thumbnails New interior project-001.jpg   New interior project-002.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Had to get on the phone with Classic Industries again today - my parts came in, now I need kick panels

Old 09-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Super Scooch
January 2009 ROTM

Originally Posted by hkunz
On a humorous note - my wife actually asked if we could keep the swap-meet diamond tuck vinyl interior, because she liked it
LMAO... I was thinking the same thing. Man I was diggin that diamond tuck! yea, I know its outdated and all but damn its cool!!

Love your Camaro btw.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 AM
1st Gear Member

LOL not just outdated, but installed by a ham-fisted amateur. The cutouts around the rollcage, for example, are just slits, with a knife-cut hole for the bars.

P.S. I was the ham-fisted installer....

Last edited by hkunz; 09-07-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

No new pics, but the interior is coming along nicely. I have had to buy new kick panels, new window fuzzies, new door bottom shiny thingies (along the bottom of the door, says "Body by Fisher"), a new chrome dome and lens, and i also got some RS taillights that i have wanted forever (like since the 70's).

I also got a total of nine speakers - a 12" sub with amp, 6x9s, 6.5s, tweeters, 2.5 dash speakers. They will be installed behind the upholstery, so you can't see the speakers, like in my Vette.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Banned

thanks for these information

Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Not exactly a DYI project, I got my Camaro back this week. New stereo, new interior, new kick panels, new new new.....

Almost everything touched in the interior was changed or renewed. Now a 7 speaker surround system, complete with a 12" sub between the rollcage bars.

The Corvette seats were recovered in "Lumina", a vinyl that glows like pearl paint. The inserts are cloth, since this is Bakersfield and vinyl gets hot. They even put the outside stripes into the interior.

New carpet, new door sills from Classic, a new rear seat insert (no seat, just a box).

The door with the bowtie in the upholstery. They are "ghost", you have to have the right light (or a flash) to even see them. They also put in door pulls so I don't have to pull on the handle. The little black things are the tweeters and the electric window switches.

The padded dash, new stereo, and seat controls. Even the shift boot is color matched.

Attached Thumbnails New interior project-100_3674.jpg   New interior project-100_3675.jpg   New interior project-100_3676.jpg   New interior project-100_3677.jpg   New interior project-100_3678.jpg  

Old 09-18-2009, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

The color isn't just right, I'll have to take some more photos tomorrow in the daylight.

Quick Reply: New interior project