Need some pricing input

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Need some pricing input

2 years ago I started a manufacturing company with a couple of inventions I patented. This new venture has done well and I am now looking to expand a new product line. After knocking on the door of countless banks with a credit score over 800 and no upside down mortgages I can't find a single bank for a loan on equipment.

So.....and this sucks, I am thinking about selling my 67 SS/RS. It's a gamble but I can cut down my manufacturing costs by 75% by simply purchasing a 300 ton horizontal ram press, which costs about 65K.

Need some input on a fair pricing point....

New GM 350/290 Motor (300 miles), Muncie M-21 Transmission, Hurst Linkage, Deluxe Interior (Professionally Restored), 1.94/1.5 Camel Hump Heads, Centerforce Dual-Friction Clutch, RPM Edelbrock Endura-Shine Intake topped with Holley Polished 670 Avenger w/electric choke, In-line Chrome Holley Fuel Pressure Gauge, MSD 6A Ignition, MSD Distributor, Flamethrower Coil, Z-28 Finned V-Flag Valve Covers, 100 Amp Single Wire Chrome Alternator, Zoops Brushed Alternator Bracket, MSD 8.5 Superconductor Wires, Chrome Wire Looms, Wieand Hi-Flo Team G Aluminum Water Pump, Holley Chrome 110 gpm Fuel Pump, Eibach Front Springs, Betts Custom Rear Multi-Leafs, Quickor 1.25 Front Sway-Bar with Poly-Graphite Bushings, Competition Engineering 3-Way Adjustable Front Shocks, KYB Rear Shocks, Competition Engineering Sub-Frame Connectors, Poly-Graphite Sub-Frame Bushings, Original 12-Bolt Rear End w/SS only Wheel Hop Bar, Auburn 3:55 Gears, Chrome-Tip 2.5” Dual Exhaust, Dyno-Max Headers 3" Collectors, 40 Series Flow Master Mufflers, Auburn Posi-Traction, 4-Wheel Disc Brakes, Baer Pro-Series Slotted Cross-Drilled (fronts) Track-Series Slotted Cross-Drilled (rear), Polished Torque Thrust II 17 x 7 (Front) and 17 x 8 (Rears) wrapped with Kumho ECSTA Rubber, Ultima-Red Top with Quick Disconnect

New: Motor, Carb, Intake, Clutch, Wheels, Tires

Firewall Info:

12A M-160
67-12637LOS
765-Z
EL2EMGS 3SL
4P 5Y N-2

Translation

12A Build Date 12-Dec. A-1st Week
67-1967 12637-Sport Coupe Custom Interior LOS- Van Nuys Plant, L.A.
765-Z Black Custom Buckets Z-Bucket Seats

Options:
E All tinted window
L Fold down rear seat
2 Indicates secondary options
E Air Conditioning
M Powerglide Transmission
G Center Console w/Gauges
S Rear mounted Antenna

(3)SL
S- RPOZ22 Rally Sport Equipment (panel trim, hide-aways, seperate reverse lights)
L- RPOZ23 option, interior decor
(rear accent lighting, chrome a/c bezels, chrome pillar post mouldings)
(chrome tri-spoke steering wheel with SS horn cap insert)

4P (4) More Option Info P-correct code only for SS 350
5Y (5) More Option Info Y-Deluxe Seat Belts

N2 N-Lower Body Color-Madeira Maroon 2- Upper Body Color-Black Top

Original CA Black Plates

There are no rust holes, but as a car guy it is due for a new paint job. I have kids and didn't want the car to become a hassle after dropping money on a paint job. It was something I always intended to do after once I became an empty-nester.

Attached Thumbnails Need some pricing input-camaro-pic-4.jpg  
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM
December 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

just a guess but i woud say 18-22 range. i had a friend that had a blue 68 rs/ss with original drivetrain that was restored and he was askig 28g for it and after a yr of low ball offers he ended up selling it for 20g.
yours dose not have original drivetrain and while it is a 4 speed now it was originaly an automatic also alot of folks steer clear of vynil tops do to rust issues, and you said it needs paint?? i would say closer to 18g JMHO

Last edited by burnt68; 08-24-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Looks like a nice car. Sorry you gotta sell it, I know how that goes. It's a real SS/RS, which is good. But a non-original engine/transmission takes off points (although a 4 speed would be preferred by many over the slushbox in an SS), and it needs a paint job. You've added a number of refinements to the car, so you'll need to find a buyer who appreciates that and not one who's looking for a completely original car. Taking the current sluggish car market into account, I'm gonna throw out a starting figure in the $22k range.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:55 PM

22 to 25K max
there is programs that the state and govt can help you get a small business loan.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I agree with the above range. 18-22K depending on your area and how bad the paint is. People in the market for the above 20K first gens have a lot of options these days.

Have you check leasing companies? I have a friend with a shop he gave up on banks 2 years ago. He buys everything through a leasing company then buys the machine at the end of the lease for a dollar. Some machine tool sales places will help with financing also.

Have you looked into Dovebid? Dovebid is a way large companies get rid of equipment left over from downsizing. I have seen functioning machines sell for 10% over scrap value. When I was at Tyco we sold off an entire machine shop thru there. Most of the machines went to a couple of guys that used to run them everyday before they where laid off. If you see something on Dovebid remember you have to pay to get it rigged out of their building by bonded riggers. Many times that cost is higher then the machine itself.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys I really appreciate all the input and suggestions. I'm trying to get a new product line up in-house before Oct. 1st. SBA and other type loans through generally take 6-9 months which will take me past my window. I am on a hot-sheet callback with Dovebid as well, but a 300 ton horizontal ram press (preferably a Sterli) is a pretty specialized item. I also have feelers out with Van Zandt and couple of other places. Most, if not all these machines are oddly enough sold to State entities so they almost never come up on the used market.

If I can't get the car sold, then leasing maybe an option but I have never been a a big fan of leasing.

I think I will be pricing the car at $21K which I think is a pretty fair price. It will be a sad day, but the way I look at it I will be able to buy 3 more if everything works out.

Again....Thanks for the input my bow tie brethren