Need some help guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Default Need some help guys

so here is the story, me and my dad decided to pull the engine and break it all down and clean/rebuild it. we are running into an issue, maybe we just need to be schooled.

it is kind of hard to tell in this picture, if need be i can upload a picture of what it looks like now with the engine pulled, but you can see that the A arms are slightly slanted (not sure if this was original on any 69's) but with this being the case, the steering column comes down and has linkage that goes on the inside of it. and looking at it it seems that we are not going to have room for performance headers

so im sure that someone has ran into this issue before, looking for any insight as to do we have a weird set up? maybe a news front end was put on this car and we wont be able to fit headers? is there any performance headers out there that will fit without rubbing on the steering linkage?

any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks everyone!!

Name:  51540007.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  125.4 KB

Old 09-26-2009, 07:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Shaner, The suspension, including the A-arms, all look stock to me. And where they shoud be. It is a very tight fit for headers on these cars, especially with power steering. The power steering gearbox makes for snug installation for any header. I have Hooker Competition headers installed on the same setup on my DZ302. I would say that there is less than a half inch space between the header and steering components on mine. Very tight. I'm not sure if my mechanic had to bend or knotch the header pipe to make it fit while the engine was in or out, but I can ask. Overall, they will fit, but require a little time and tinkering. Good luck. Can't wait to see the finished product.