My Father's 1969 Camaro (sorry it's long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don, I don't know about resto shops in your area, but there are a couple around me who have a number of cars that they work on at a time, and some of the cars have been there for a while. It can be an issue of available space for them, so not every shop has the luxury of working according to the owners schedule. Maybe if you look and ask around, you might find a shop willing to work on your car as a "time filler", as you use the extra time to use as a pocket filler. Also ask them if you can come in to their shop and do some work on it yourself, if there's something you can do. Some can get **** about liabilities, others may work with you.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:18 PM

"So just what are they quoting you for? Is this just for the body restoration? Or does it include anything else?"

Basically to do everything. One place says $100,000 and another one is telling me $25,000. The $25,000 is more along what I'm looking to spend tops.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Hey Shevrolet - thanks for the info! Exton is about an hour away. I'll check with them and some places closer to me. Where are you at? Are you in PA at all?

Don

Originally Posted by shevrolay
Don,

Try giving these guys a call or perhaps just go by there if they are close to you.

Universal Technical Institute - Pennsylvania Campus
750 Pennsylvania Drive
Exton, PA 19341

Ask them if they are ever looking for cars for training purposes...it's a case of they win, you win. Again check your local area for Camaro Clubs, you'd be surprised how far a few cases of beer, a gift certificate at Year One or Rick's First Generation along with some BBQ in the name of friendship amongst Bowtie Brethren can go.

Wish you lived near me, I would definitely hook you up and make it a fun learning experience to boot...check my profile to see my ride.

The guys on this forum are some of the most informed I have ever run into. There is a lot you can do that is free, before you ever take the car into the body shop...questions, problems, snap a few pics and the folks here will jump at the chance to help you out.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Don,
I suggest you start watching the shows on Powerblock TV on Saturday morning. I just record them and watch later as I get time, since I'm usually in the garage when the shows are on.

Patch panels are available, as mentioned, to replace almost all the rusted panels you have, since you have what is arguably the most universally desired car of the muscle era, the 69 Camaro. I had to buy a new driver's door a few years back, it came in black primer-sealer, and bolted right on without a glitch, for $500. You can get good quality parts for your fenders, doors, everything, so don't sweat the rust issues.

A crate engine was mentioned; that's a good idea since you are swapping, and you can even get a crate auto tranny now too.

Enjoy! I've had mine for 36 years now, and still love it

Old 09-23-2010, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Anytime Don, I hope it helps you out.

If I were within a 100 miles of you I would just come by, but I'm in Idaho.

With so many well-skilled folks out of work, you might want to think about running an ad for an experienced autobody guy with excellent references to come work for you at $15.00 an hour. It sounds strange, but you could always check the forum for feedback and if the guy is good he can accomplish a great deal in a very short amount of time. Especially since you are prepping the car for paint and body.

You really would be amazed over what can be accomplished when an experienced guy puts 2 40 hour weeks on a car.

The guys on this board are great, we can refer vendors to buy all your parts and act as a sounding board on your game plan. Kinda of like a group forum project, as well we can tell you up front if your worker ever starts screwing around since we all know how long and what goes into a project.

For $25K you really should have a showroom condition high performing classic to last you well into your golden years so that you can hand over the keys to next generation.

Please let us know what you decide to do....

Steve

Old 09-24-2010, 05:02 PM

Hey Orocker -

Well, I must say that's pretty impressive doing that much yourself! Good heavens, there is no way I could do all that on my own. That's WAY above my level of experience or knowledge! LOL If I tore my car apart like that there is NO way I'd get it all back together again! I just know it! I'd need the serious assistance of someone who knows what the heck they are doing around cars before I'd ever attempt to do that much on my own! Like I said before, I'm willing to learn, but it's like flying an airplane....you ain't going to do it unless you have someone by your side to show you the ropes! Once you see how easy an aircraft handles and how easy it is to fly, then you are good on your own. But doing anything that involved like tearing that car apart to that extent...for me, well I'm a bit gun shy on doing that by myself. I'd probably damage something serious while attempting it! LOL

Originally Posted by orocker
Hey I know what you mean. Well you've gotten some excellent advice. I was in need of a car a few years ago and decided to go back to my 1st love......a 1st gen. Mine fell into my lap and we spent a weekend tearing it all apart. I found a great body guy who did things old school. Now we are at the end of a 3 year project. Like you we are not building it for show but so that I can drive it everyday and have a good solid car.

Here's my thread
https://camaroforums.com/forum/67-69-projects-106/my-69-camaro-project-18688/

There's allot of stuff you can do yourself. I had the subframe sent home and scrubbed it and painted it. Put it back together and sent it back to the shop for the final assembly. After it was painted it came home and we have been doing everything else. Found allot of parts on ebay but got mostly everything from NPD. Its been a bit of an undertaking for my hubby and I but we are very proud of the work that we have accomplished.

So just what are they quoting you for? Is this just for the body restoration? Or does it include anything else?

Old 09-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Hey Steve,

Too bad we live so far apart. You're the type of guy I wish lived right up the street from me!! Oh well....I'm still checking places out. I stopped in at a Speed Shop today and spoke to the owner. He does custom and classic work on cars from engines to body work. He showed me some of his work, but it looks like a lot of it is custom work on those stupid looking Honda's I see roaming around. They're cute, but dumb and I wouldn't want one of them. He offered to me that if I brought him the Camaro piece by piece he would work on it...except of course the parts of the body that won't come apart he would need all of it at his shop. But he said he would be willing to work with me on what I wanted, which is nice to hear. Most of the guys seem to be of the mindset of "you bring the car in with a pile of cash upfront and we will complete it for you in 8-9 months." I mean that is great and all if I was loaded. But I'd prefer to do it a little at a time on my timeline of when I can save up the cash. I keep telling them that with two young girls that we will have to put through school one day, the priority is them at the moment. I told the one shop that I could get him $5,000 by Christmas and he was like "well I'd like it now so I can start ordering parts." I mean c'mon. He can't order parts when I bring him the money in December?? He has to order them now?? I ain't buying that. I may not know much about cars, but I'm not stupid either. And I would think in this economy that we are in now, they'd be happy when ever I brought them in cash! I'm going to keep working on them though as I check around everywhere I can. This is scary because I don't know who to trust and who is giving me B.S. I'm pretty good with the B.S. meter....but some people are good at the B.S. Oh well.....I'm still checking and will update you as I go along to hear what your thoughts are.

Don

Originally Posted by shevrolay
Anytime Don, I hope it helps you out.

If I were within a 100 miles of you I would just come by, but I'm in Idaho.

With so many well-skilled folks out of work, you might want to think about running an ad for an experienced autobody guy with excellent references to come work for you at $15.00 an hour. It sounds strange, but you could always check the forum for feedback and if the guy is good he can accomplish a great deal in a very short amount of time. Especially since you are prepping the car for paint and body.

You really would be amazed over what can be accomplished when an experienced guy puts 2 40 hour weeks on a car.

The guys on this board are great, we can refer vendors to buy all your parts and act as a sounding board on your game plan. Kinda of like a group forum project, as well we can tell you up front if your worker ever starts screwing around since we all know how long and what goes into a project.

For $25K you really should have a showroom condition high performing classic to last you well into your golden years so that you can hand over the keys to next generation.

Please let us know what you decide to do....

Steve

Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 PM

Great information hkunz! Thank you!!

Originally Posted by hkunz
Don,
I suggest you start watching the shows on Powerblock TV on Saturday morning. I just record them and watch later as I get time, since I'm usually in the garage when the shows are on.

Patch panels are available, as mentioned, to replace almost all the rusted panels you have, since you have what is arguably the most universally desired car of the muscle era, the 69 Camaro. I had to buy a new driver's door a few years back, it came in black primer-sealer, and bolted right on without a glitch, for $500. You can get good quality parts for your fenders, doors, everything, so don't sweat the rust issues.

A crate engine was mentioned; that's a good idea since you are swapping, and you can even get a crate auto tranny now too.

Enjoy! I've had mine for 36 years now, and still love it

Old 10-01-2010, 06:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry for no hitting you back Don but I've been out of town on business.

Unfortunately the blade cuts both ways for shop owners if the car owner runs out of money mid-project. For now it's first things first, getting the car stripped down in an organized and orderly fashion. I still you best bet is to run an ad for a hired hand with a list of things that need to be done, agreed upon time frame, and to start lining up replacement parts before ever talking with any shop.

Shop owners can't loose money, they are going to pay somebody $10-15 an hour, then charge you $50-65 an hour. I really think you should take a month off from talking to any shop about the car and contact a local camaro club. At the same time I would run an ad in Craigslist, your local paper or both for a temp job. In the meantime go buy 3 cans of liquid wrench and start spraying down bolt on the car.

I'm going to send you a pm with my e-mail and phone number should you need any assistance getting a game plan together including time frames, costs, and vendors.