Most efficient way to remove the rust

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Default Most efficient way to remove the rust

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum, my dream is to restore a Camaro, most likely a 1968 or 1969. I don't plan to do it until 2-3 years, but I already started to look around.

One thing that strikes me is how much rust there is on some car bodies, after a quick look on ebay and other websites to see what's available. Some cars are practically covered of rust, you don't even see the paint anymore. Also, I've seen some pretty 'nasty' interiors, where there's rust everywhere on the floor and side panels.

When you get a car in that condition, what do you guys do? I've seen a lot of videos about sand/soda blasting to remove the paint, primer and others, but as far as I can tell it's not powerful enough to remove the rust itself.

I've also watched videos where the owner would put the rusted parts in a pool filled with molasse and water, and after a few days/weeks they'd take it out, pressure wash it, and voila. However, the problem with this method is that you can't do anything with the frame and chassis, side panels and other parts that are too big to fit in the 'pool'. What is the best option to remove rust from these parts?

I had a quick look around, but I couldn't find a correct/complete answer. Most videos I've seen are about removing rust spots on a car, but that's not exactly what I need =P

Thank you very much for your help, this looks like a fantastic forum and I'm sure that I can learn a lot from it!

Below is an example of what I'm talking about

Old 08-29-2013, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Best bet is to get one without any rust if you can afford it--they have patch panels but you will have to weld them in or have someone do it for you --all the parts are replaceable and made heck they now make new bodies even--I hate rust--

Old 09-05-2013, 01:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It's best to stay away from cars that are that rusted. You can sand blast them or have the body acid dipped but you end up with one that is pitted badly from where the rust was dissolved or blasted out. That means big money on body work to fill all of that in. It had better be a car you really, really, really like or is that rare to spend that kind of money on one of those. Although I have seen a few that were done that only had minor surface rust and with a few good coats of urethane primer and a lot of block sanding was able to salvage the car.
Rust is a cars worse enemy! Northern cars or cars close to the ocean are the worst victims of rust. Either salt on the roads or the salt in the air are the culprits. There is always the exception to the rule for northern cars, the ones that were only driven in the summer and were not exposed to road salt. They are far and few between though. Southern or mid-west cars tend to be the best survivors.
As Glenns-67SS said, you can purchase everything for an early Camaro to restore aftermarket now, even a complete body.
In short, everything can be restored it's just a matter of how much you're willing to spend. Some are just not feasible to do.