Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Space efficient sound system (Yukon)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:28 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Space efficient sound system (Yukon)

Okay, now I KNOW that this is a Camaro/F-body forum... but I've joined and posted this on a Tahoe/Yukon forum to no avail, not one reply yet (to either of the threads I started), and I'm also just really bored[&:].

Alright, so I want to put a system in my '93 2dr Yukon, nothing out of this world, just like a single 10' or a 12' with like a 500w-1000w amp powering it (probably somewhere in the middle). My dilemma is I don't want it to eat up a bunch of space in the rear cargo area (there's really not much room back there to begin with, with the spare tire back there).

I was looking around online and stumbled across this product:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+XS-LB12S.html

Has anyone ever used this product or known anyone who has? What would be some good relatively space efficient alternatives to this? I was thinking about possibly mounting that to the back of the rear seat, or possibly on the side across from the spare tire.

I'm on a pretty tight budget too, so the more bang for the buck, the better.

Also, any good recommendations on amps?

Oh, and has anyone had any luck with Bazooka Tubes? I've heard varying opinions on those, some people say they're crap, and other people say they love them.
[/align]

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Ninja Administrator
Default RE: Space efficient sound system (Yukon)

hey, this is a CAMARO forum..... GTFO!.... oh wait [&o]

anyways, i dont like the xplodes.their name is so descriptive its uncanny [&:]

personally I would go with a single 12", you can get thinner, longer boxes to save space but go with quality or you will regret it. crap subs are easy to blow up, especially with a crap amp pushing them. what I would do is just get a standard single 12" box, which is about 14" cube, and mount it in what ever nook i can find in the cargo space. bolt it down, and get a sturdy grill cover so you can still stack crap on top of it without putting the cone at any risk.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:02 AM
4th Gear Member

never buy sony for anything but head units... and a single sealed 10 or 12" really isn't that big.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 AM
2nd Gear member

I dunno if you've ever seen the back of a 2dr Yukon.. but that spare tire is MASSIVE, haha. It probably takes up 1/3 of the room back there.

But I think a box like this up against the rear seats would work:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+1H12-0.7.html

Sub/amp recommendations?

Here's a pic:
Name:  IMG_0250.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  63.7 KB

I thought about shoving a bazooka tube or something infront of the spare tire (right behind the seat), but I think I might mount the amp there, and the sub right next to that.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
4th Gear Member

take the tire out. if you get a flat tire, you'll prolly call for help any way. and you can easily fit a sealed box 12" there. or even a ported.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Ninja Administrator

infinity subs are good. rockford has recently started making subs worth buying again.
i used a kenwood amp for awhile but im not sure whats out there anymore. again, rockfords are better than they used to be and could probably suit you. how much are you willing to spend? personally i would get a DVC sub and run it in series.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
4th Gear Member

i would go with Diamond and memphis for a decently priced,long lasting main stream company combo.. looking at 500-600 bucks for a 500 watt system that will rattle your roof, and last forever. D3 is a pretty much bullet proof sub if you dont clip it.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:25 AM
2nd Gear member

True, I could take the tire out because if I got a flat around town, I'd probably call my dad and get his help, haha. But I'd still want to be able to load it up in there for a road trip/off road adventure/anything outside of town, so I might as well just leave it in there and work around out. I'd get a roof rack and put it up there if it wouldn't mess my gas mileage up even worse than it already is.

And I'm trying to work on the cheap, I just found out my insurance after my wreck with full coverage is $235 a month, which is really about the maximum I'm willing to spend on a system, I'd like for it all to be under $200. I'm probably going to try to install it myself too.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 AM
4th Gear Member

just wire and eveyrthing is gonna be 60-75 bucks.. you're gonna have to by used.

my insurance jsut went down dramatically adding the truck. went from about 260 a month to 150.08 a month

Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Ninja Administrator

i guess im only paying 160/mo on my TA but then again for some reason then give u a good discount once you hit 21 [&:]

Quick Reply: Space efficient sound system (Yukon)