Minitub; rear 4link setup needed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 11:11 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Minitub; rear 4link setup needed?

Hi, I have a 68 Camaro that im starting, new metal going on soon with mini tubs.. need to have the 4 link suspension setup measurements prior to tubbing...

I am looking for a full suspension backage (front subframe, subframe connectors, and the 4 link suspension) would also like disc brakes setup on them and a 9" housing

I keep looking around and come across tci, heidts, the proG, and the prodigy bar...do these places custom cut the rear to fit larger tires, or how would I go about setting up a build sheet to show my metal guy what is needed..?

Im looking for as much tire as I can fit in, which would it be? 345?

rear frame rails are going to be replaced on the body also..

I am new to all this, and this is my first project.
First order of business is all metal redone, but need the rear 4link incorporated in the process as the minitubs go in.

other info; fuel tank will not be in place, a fuel cell will be going in..

thanks for any input; here is the link to my project; Pictures by juarch328 - Photobucket (photobucket)

Old 04-12-2011, 06:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

whew! that's a mighty ambitious build sheet for a first project. I'm going to make an assumption here by the complete suspension/frame replacement you are looking for a roadrace/autocross/resto-mod setup. On that assumption, a Lateral-G three link suspension is said (from the reading and opinions I've heard) to be alot better for road track performace. A four link tends to bind when the suspension twist from the torque of cornering. The three link allows for the spring and shocks to take the cornering torque not the suspension bind. I estimated an installed price for the three-link (kit, tubs, narrowed rear, DTE "mini-tub" tank) at about 7500$ using my stock 12bolt w/factory drum brakes.

As far as mini tubs, Detroit Speed & Engineering mini-tubs are the easy route. They come with templates, instructions on what and where to cut. Most Cover cars I've seen with mini tubs are DTE tubs. For the note, DTE is expensive, get ready to pay.

I also see you plan on using a fuel cell. I've been down that road. I just pulled the tank and replaced the trunk pan to install a stock tank. Fuel cells stink and they're messy. If this car's going to be a driver and you're going to sink the $50k+ this build plan is going cost consider a stock-style tank with a sump.

Btw, Have you made a budget for this project? It's seems to be a $50k project on the low end.

Last edited by juggernaut; 04-12-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:20 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the input Juggernaut! it is definitely appreciated

I'm still back and forth on what rear suspension setup to use..
I called a company today for a full tci (subframe, connectors, 4 link rear, fab housing shortened, axles and gears) but they still haven't gotten back to me..

Chris Alston's products seem pretty well reviewed. Gave them a call and they priced the g-link with fab 9 housing cut to length, gears, axles, everything minus disc brakes for about 4k delivered. He directed me more towards the g-link over the g-bar because im trying to fit as much tire width under the wheel well as I can, and he advised the g-link is adjustable, the g-bar is set.

As far as the fuel cell, that is def. a consideration I didn't think of...smell.

My budget started about 25-30k when I bought the car, 30-35k a couple days later.. and now around 45-50k. But after metal work and subframe/rear suspension is put in, my plan is to prime it, and have it sit until the next round.. put the receipts in my black book and lock it away..

I've seen the mini tub kit DSE makes, but to my knowledge, I believe my metal guy will be rolling the metal himself, and fabricating a lot of the pieces himself; TRIX from---> TRIX RODS AND RACERS - CHOPPERZ BY TRIX - TED WALTERS

Learning as I'm going, calling companies and emailing is a job in itself.. but by far the most helpful so far was Chris Alston's company Chris Alston's Chassisworks

I was told my first task will be to buy and have on hand; wheel size, tire, and rear suspension/housing package that I need in order to correctly install the minitubs.. is this correct?

Any more input, suggestions, anything is appreciated! thanks again