matching engine ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
But really, what would be the point of VIN stamping your engine, for your own sake? I know what my car is and what it isn't, as far as originality. The only reason to re-stamp is to fool someone else, I can't fool myself.

As for the why I would say to compete in shows, If you know any of these people that travel around show to show competing for points you would understand. I have a freind who does in the Corvette world. It is insane. Again I am not saying anyone should do it but some of those guys would knowingly buy a mock numbers matching car as long as it would pass a judging.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Pyroted
Here's a couple of excerpts from CA. This would be enough for me to not even think about it.
(previous excerpts not copied to save space)
Thanks for finding that Pyroted. That puts to bed the debate whether or not VIN tampering on parts is illegal.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
As for the why I would say to compete in shows, If you know any of these people that travel around show to show competing for points you would understand. I have a freind who does in the Corvette world. It is insane. Again I am not saying anyone should do it but some of those guys would knowingly buy a mock numbers matching car as long as it would pass a judging.
Exactly what I was referring to, it's done to fool people. And I do understand the shows. I've been to Bloomington before, not to show though, that's just trailer queen city. That's not what I have my Vettes for.
And yep, some of those Vette guys can get pretty anel about originality, I should know, I'm one of them. Vettes, primarily the C3's, are my forte. I've bought, fixed up, restored a few. Currently restoring another 69, all original, numbers matching (without cheating).

Old 01-22-2012, 09:11 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

for the purpose of sale, transfer, import, or export,
is guilty of a public offense
That is a CA law. If it was a federal law CA would not need it. I live in PA but it would all come back to intent at the time you made the change. If I intended to deceive so I could make money on the sale of it at the time I changed the number it would be against the law. If I did it to win a show I have not broken the law. To prove intent they would need a set pattern maybe someone building a couple car pers year. It is kind of funny that the story I told about the 57 chevy came from CA. As long as you told the person at the time you sold it that it was a mocked up replica you have not broken the law. Could someone lie and say you broke the law, sure but if you had then sign something and the price you sold the car for would be proof you did not break the law.

This kind stuff happens all the time. Even here in PA if bought a 92 V6 made into a L98 Z28 clone and sold as a real Z28 I could be arrested, Theft by deceiption The DA would have to proove I said it was the real deal but I could do time. Now if I sell it as a clone and the next guy sells it as the real deal he might point the finger at me but if I have a copy of the add or a copy of the bill of sale I am good.

Exact thing happen locally it was a dealer that sold the car but no where on the paper work did it say Z28, local DA said buyer beware and it was a civil matter.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Below is a link to U.S. code 2321, updated Jan. 7, 2011. Notice that it's a U.S. law, not a state law:
"a) Whoever buys, receives, possesses, or obtains control of, with intent to sell or otherwise dispose of, a motor vehicle or motor vehicle part, knowing that an identification number for such motor vehicle or part has been removed, obliterated, tampered with, or altered, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both."
Doesn't matter if you tell the person buying you altered it, the law clearly states if you sell a car knowing the VIN on the body or it's parts has been tampered with, you're in big trouble. It's illegal to do, no matter what state, no matter what the intent, period!
United States Code: Title 18,2321. Trafficking in certain motor vehicles or motor vehicle parts | LII / Legal Information Institute

Old 01-22-2012, 12:06 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Ok where is the exception for repairs? Based on what you are saying ever engine builder/machist in the US has commited a crime. And just owning a car with a partial Vin removed from the motor could land you in jail.

Edit:
That is part of a anti theft law, It to stop people from hiding stolen part. Listed under the exceptions is this:

D) a person who removes, obliterates, tampers with, or alters a decal or device affixed to a motor vehicle pursuant to the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act, if that person is the owner of the motor vehicle, or is authorized to remove, obliterate, tamper with or alter the decal or device by—
(i) the owner or his authorized agent;
(ii) applicable State or local law; or
(iii) regulations promulgated by the Attorney General to implement the Motor Vehicle Theft Prevention Act.

If you steal a car then remove the vins your getting extra time.

Last edited by Gorn; 01-22-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Ok,
I pulled a valve cover and the heads are from 1972 & new by the numbers
the numbers on the intake are..
C 10 0 - I think this means march 10th of 1970 ?
3965577 - not sure what these mean ?
my book only decodes the date,
but no chart for the casting numbers

Old 01-22-2012, 06:05 PM
2nd Gear member

Blew look what you went and started. lol

Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I see that !!!