Lost Vin Data Plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Default Lost Vin Data Plate

I would like to know if there is any legal way to replace a lost Vin Data Plate and who would i contact to do that. I own a 1968 camaro which is in the middle of a ground up restoration. I changed out the upper dash panel and the body man must have tossed it with the old sheetmetal because we can't find it. I have owned the carfor over 25 years andregistered it to drivein 3 states. I can provide any proof of ownership required.I have also talked to the DMV and they will provide a sticker but that won't cover the hole in the dash panel. Any help would be appreciated. Rick

Old 11-29-2007, 09:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: Lost Vin Data Plate

u need to contact the state patrol inspection unit for salvage vehicles
yes salvage vehicles
the only bad thing about loosing the tag is they might brand the car as a rebuilt salvage vehicle
restored or not they do not care hopefully not!

Old 11-30-2007, 05:46 AM
January 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: akcowboy1

I would like to know if there is any legal way to replace a lost Vin Data Plate and who would i contact to do that. I own a 1968 camaro which is in the middle of a ground up restoration. I changed out the upper dash panel and the body man must have tossed it with the old sheetmetal because we can't find it. I have owned the carfor over 25 years andregistered it to drivein 3 states. I can provide any proof of ownership required.I have also talked to the DMV and they will provide a sticker but that won't cover the hole in the dash panel. Any help would be appreciated. Rick
your S.O.L. on the spot on the dash. U need a state issued vin tag they are placed on the door jamb FROM THE LOCAL DMV office

Old 01-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Rax

Let,s cut the crap. The man wants to know if he can make one like the original to replace the "lost one". My answer is - I do not know but 1968 Vin number is old technology and I think that you need to have an vin plate example tocut a piece of the same materialused in you vin number and stamp your number. I'm shure that out there is a few companies that stamp numbers or I think that you can buy a manual engraver. But remember that is illegall and I do not recommended.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:33 AM
January 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: Rax

Let,s cut the crap. The man wants to know if he can make one like the original to replace the "lost one". My answer is - I do not know but 1968 Vin number is old technology and I think that you need to have an vin plate example tocut a piece of the same materialused in you vin number and stamp your number. I'm shure that out there is a few companies that stamp numbers or I think that you can buy a manual engraver. But remember that is illegall and I do not recommended.
now there is some advice lmao

Old 01-28-2008, 11:07 AM
3rd Gear Member

I don't believe there is anything "legally" that you can do. if the DMV with still ok your car, and you are just worried about the hole in the dash, just weld it up and make it smooth

Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

You would have a good fight in court in your favor - untill it came time to sell the car.
All crimes have elements - one for this would be something along the lines of faking a vin number for profit. If you are going to keep the car and never sell it while advertising it as something it never was, using a fake plate to prove it, there would be no crime since the elements werent all there - in this case - intent to defraud (could be some other verbage, but you know what I mean). This would be a different event than switching vin plates, as this is an attempt to reproduce one that was lost.As far as who would do it.... couldnt tell you. You are most likely S.O.L.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 AM
3rd Gear Member

Titles and vin stuff has gotten real touchy, I know its not you case but I just went through trying to get a title for an old truck I would have had to take it to court in Pa. I ran across this in my search I am sure they could give some advice. datatags.com

Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
January 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: akcowboy1

I would also hold the bodydshop accountable .this will afect the value,who know maybe you get half of restore price

Old 01-29-2008, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MichiganMan

I would also hold the bodydshop accountable .this will afect the value,who know maybe you get half of restore price
can't anybody have make a mistake these days without everybody wanting to sue first and resolve the problem second?

wether you were joking or not, you still thought it enough to mention it. this is a big reason why our country is so screwed up