Help? Is my 1968 RS/SS convertible for real?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 11:46 PM
Default Help? Is my 1968 RS/SS convertible for real?!

<pre style="color:black">

Hi fellow Camaro enthusiasts.

First of all, I hope these photos load....or at least the shutterfly link works. Because I'm hoping to find anyone who knows anything about my unique 1968 Camaro RS/SS convertible. I don't know if there is a higher option Camaro convertible out, but I don't have documentation to prove it is real. With a car as unique as this one, someone must know something about it! Here's what I can tell you about my history with it, but I'm hoping you can help me fill in the blanks.

- 1995 - I first bought in in 1995 after seeing an ad in Hemmings Motor News from a man in Minnesota (his name was Rodney Buck). The car was exactly as it is today, with the exception of the redline tires and some weatherstiping changes. But importantly, it still had the same checked paint, same interior (some flaws and fading), and the same top.

- 1996 - I sold it in 1996, upon word that I was going to be a first time DAD (I now have 3!). Remember that moment when you think you must change all that you are about and buy a minivan!? (I got a 1995 Chrysler Town and Country....and I don't care where it is now) . The funny part is the guy who bought the car from me for $21,000 called me after he got home and complained about how the front spoiler was loose and he wanted me to refund some of his $! (haha!!)

- 2005 - I questioned regularly why I was such a dork! Kids don't change EVERYTHING I learned (just ALMOST everything). However, I never forgot about my Camaro. Why did I sell this car?!

- 2007 - I began searching for my old Camaro.....

- 2009 - I finally found the car again in Arizona (of all places, on eBay), and bought it right away....2 or 3 owners after I sold it.

- 2012 - Now, I'm begining my research to discover the true history of this car. Is it a GM promotional vehicle? Incredibly rare? Or is it a fraud built before anyone cared? Without a protecto-plate or documentation, I honestly don't know. So I am looking for suggestions, recollections, and help. One thing is for sure.....the car is memorable. Here's why...

- Here is summary of some of the options on this car: RS/SS package, 396/350HP, A/T, A/C, P/S, P/DB, P/W, P/T, Cruise Control, Fiber-Optics, Console and Gauges, Speed Warning, Tilt, Wood Wheel, Deluxe Houndstooth, Headrests, AM/FM, Quadraplex, 8-Track, Remote Trunk Release, Remote Mirror, Deluxe Belts, Fold-down Rear Seat, Space Saver Spare, Front and Rear Bumper Guards, and who knows what I'm forgetting. Add to all of that the ORIGINAL Matador Red Paint with 5 color Multi-Tone (D88) Accent (and White Top). I know I'm missing some things, but this is a solid start.

So, if any of you have 'met' this car in you Camaro travels, please share your recollection and stories.........or your thoughts on how I can determine if she's the real deal. She deserves to know her history!

Scott, Paso Robles CA

Photobucket website: http://photobucket.com/1968RSSSConvertible

Last edited by ehrkeIV; 07-31-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: corrections and added thumbnail photos
Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The simple test, and the only way to be able to prove it's an SS without any other documentation, is to check the partial VIN on the engine to your car. If the numbers match, you have an SS, as the 350 and 396 engines were only available in the SS model. Without a match, you can only "assume", but you what that means.
There are no codes on the trim tag for the RS option, so that can be faked as well.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 AM
4th Gear Member

^ That and maybe check under the back seats. I know MOPAR used to put papers that included original options and owner and such under there. Not sure if GM did the same.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:23 AM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

its a beautiful car, but instead of shutterfly, try photobucket so you can post the IMG codes and share the picture right in the thread instead of having to click links

Old 07-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Default Photos of my 1968 Camaro RS/SS 396/350 Convertible

Name:  IMG_9381.jpg
Views: 2428
Size:  95.2 KB
Name:  IMG_9403.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  87.7 KB
Name:  IMG_9417.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  74.9 KB
Name:  IMG_9420.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  62.7 KB
Name:  IMG_9439.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  78.0 KB
Name:  IMG_9462.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  95.9 KB
Name:  multi-toneaccentbandbrochure.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  57.3 KB

Old 07-31-2012, 02:06 PM
1st Gear Member

That is an amazing car! I only have two things to say, and im sure you already know both of them.

1. SHAME on you for letting that beauty go!

2. Im really glad you were able to find it and get it back! Enjoy that amazing piece of history!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Very nice car but looking at the seats it either is not a factory headrest seat car or someone put in the wrong ones in the stock seats. they are are the later 69 versions that are "bent" the correct 68 ones should look like this

here is a link to the site this came from

Camaro Headrests - CRG Research Report

another thing that is inncorrect for a 68 camaro is under the hood. the ac compressor should be on the passenger side while the alternator should be on the driver side. they didnt switch untill 69 as well. I would check to see if the #s match on the motor. take the last 6 digits of the cars vin # and see if they match the last 6 of the motor id.

also another thing that raises a red flag to me is the badging on the car. the front fender has both rally sport and super sport badges. thats is also incorrect for 1968. the ss badges always to presidence over the rs badges. if the car is a true rs/ss then it should only have the ss badges.

still the car is very highly optioned and has alot of very accesiores that not many camaros have, but it does raise questions about its correctness and originality without the documentation and photo evidence of when the car was fairly new.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:02 AM
2nd Gear member

Nice car, looks to be numbers matching engine. Trim tag shows 716 which is Ivory houndstooth with subnote (2) houndstooth not available in convertible. I would contact Camaro Research Group and send them as much info as possible and see what they could tell me. Looks like you have a really rare car.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:11 AM
Default My father and uncle was a previous owner of this car

My father and uncle sold this car to Rodney Buck. My father has since passed away but my uncle is still around.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:04 PM
4th Gear Member

Nice Camaro, correct year, and agree with Camaro Boy as front accessory drive shown is for '69, as earlier, had alt on driver side and compressor on pass side.
Another option is Light Monitoring, the chrome bubbles on fenders and module in middle top of rear seat. Turn on turn signals and watch these items for lighting up.
Look on Trim Tag for manf place, LOS for Van Nuys, who I think threw away build sheets, and NOR for Norwood, Ohio, who slipped it between gas tank and trunk floor, or back seat bottom.
I would think, if space saver spare, no Limited Slip diff, check trunk lid for Limited Slip decal along with jack instructions.
Also, check behind the drvr rear tire on frame rail for a welded index card size steel plate added for drvr side tailpipe hangar - feature for SS's, dual exhaust.
As suggested, check with KurtS at www.camaros.org for more assistance.

Last edited by Everett#2390; 07-23-2018 at 07:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Help? Is my 1968 RS/SS convertible for real?!