help with correct radiator for 1st gen 396

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 06:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by camaroboy68ss
if going to electric fans i would rig up some sort of light indicator or something that shows (hopefully) that the fans are working. thats the last thing needed it have the motor overheat casue the fans didnt kick on. that happened this summer to a buddy in his 32 ford coupe. the electric fans never kicked on the car shot to 230 in a matter of seconds waiting to get into a car show. it got hot enough that once he shut the motor off it would not refire untill it cooled. so putting in some sort of indicator would be a good idea. I would run a mechanical clutch fan personally on the car
You can do a couple of things you can have only one spal fan come on through a relay from your temp sensor and set it up lets say 170-175 the other go through a heated switch with a small led light on it,if it creeps up over 195 flip the switch lite goes on and you know you are in business, or have them go on at the same time through the relay, add a small wire on the fifth terminal on the relay with a tiny blinking light set up on you dash, as the relay kicks on the fans the light will go on.
www.gudgettown.com
what my sons has done in his 900rwhp supercharged big block is the first set up, this way if one goes out you will always have the manual switch to kick on the fan and protect your engine, one electric spal fan and the corect aluminum radiator will be more then anough to keep it cool.
if you need a diagram let me know.

Last edited by grpaic; 12-05-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-20-2011, 09:29 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I found a radiator solution for my car. Like a lot of folks here, I have a mild to moderate performance big block, with T400 and now airconditioning. The demands on the cooling system has increased, and with new heads very soon, it will increase a bit more. There is no point having a cooling system which cannot support an airconditioning load on a hot day, and in city traffic. May as well not have air conditioning if you cant use it when it gets hot outside.
I purchased a 2 core aluminum radiator, with 1.25 tubes, but it is 31 inches wide, and 19 inches tall. Bigger overall. A camaro can take this size without cutting anything. Comes with mounts to fit a 1st gen. I am keeping the 7 blade big block fan, so I bought a custom aluminum shroud, sized for the 31 x 19 radiator. Got the extended hoses, and the 180 degree thermostat. I was told I would need the thermostat, or the engine will run too cool. The vendor threw in a custom alloy overflow tank to finish the package.
I will be adding a clutch fan mount later, if I need it.
I have already done a few things to cut out the heat.
1. ceramic coated headers
2. Alloy big volume water pump
3. March overdrive pulley for extra cooling.

The big radiator and big shrouod should make a difference, and allow me to quit worrying about an overheating engine. So far it is running at around 180-200, and runs fine, but I have not had the aircon running flat out on a hot day yet. This is my insurance I guess.