Got rid of some of that fender gap! (lots of pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 AM

Now that's a nice car wasting rubber!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
Maggie, seems our two different tire chart sources differ in tire height. I suppose they each use a particular brand to get their info, which may account for the discrepencies.
That's right, you can't go by a "standard" chart if you want to work with hard numbers. There are differences, and some that could be a deal breaker in fitment. I'm currently shopping for new tires for my Jeep, and the same "size" between brands are differing in height as much as 1/2". Even the section widths (total sidewall width) are different within the same size. Not only that, even different style tires within the same manufacturer are not the same as well. You really need to look at the actual tire you plan on using for any kind of accuracy. Tirerack.com has all the specs on the tires they carry.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by JunctionBoyz
Now that's a nice car wasting rubber!
Thanks alot. I still cant figure out which front and rear spring combo to order. Hotchkis has the 1.5" drop in the rear and the 2" drop in the front. but I feel like the 2" drop in the front would be the limit. Summit and Eibach both sell 1" drop coils for the front. The summit leaf springs claim a 2" drop in the rear. Maybe mix and match? Given the way the car sits now, how do you think a 2" inch rear drop and 1" front drop will look? I don't want it to sit lower in the rear. I just want a nice level look or maybe a slight rake. I wish I could be around the car, then I think coming to a decision would be easier. I'm going on leave in a few months and I want to have the parts ready to install when I get home. Give me and my Dad something to do together. To many options!

Last edited by wasting rubber; 07-12-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear member

If you want a custom set made to your specs, talk to the guys at Eaton Spring. (Not to take away from Hotchins who make a fantastic spring)

Eaton Detroit Spring Home

They know their 1 Gen Camaro's and are happy to just talk to ya if you have any questions.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by StoveBolts
If you want a custom set made to your specs, talk to the guys at Eaton Spring. (Not to take away from Hotchins who make a fantastic spring)

Eaton Detroit Spring Home

They know their 1 Gen Camaro's and are happy to just talk to ya if you have any questions.
Ive heard good things about Eaton Detroit. The summit leaf springs advertise a rate of 131lbs/inch and the Eaton advertised 125lbs/inch. Close to the same specs but a big price difference. I'm sure the Eaton are probably higher quality though.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
2nd Gear member

I'm happy with the setup they sold me on and when I step on the gas, the rear end squats, bites and lunges perfectly forward which is exactly what I wanted! If you want 131 lbs/inch I'm sure they can accomodate and add or subtract any arc you may want to achieve the stance your looking for.

I think what I liked most about them was the experience and their patience with me. They wanted to know about my car and what I was expecting and then presented me with several choices all along telling me the pro's and con's of each spring they could manufacture for me. I ended up going with a multi leaf racing spring in the rear with a 2" drop guaranteed not to let axle wrap become an issue till I exceeded 800 hp. Believe it or not, the ride's not too terribly rough either.

They guys are easy going and are willing to answer your questions, even if you decide to go with Summit or Hotchins. Give em a call or shoot them an e-mail.

Last edited by StoveBolts; 07-12-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

From the look of your car I'd go 1" in front and 2" in the back. If you want to confirm this have your dad measure the body between front and rear wheelwell openings. Put the car on level ground, then right behind the front wheelwell measure to ground. Repeat right ion front of the rear wheelwell opening. If the difference is 1" or more, then you need to drop the rear 1" more than the front. If the difference is 2", then the rear will still be 1" higher, even with a 1"/2" dropped coil and leaf setup.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:52 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
From the look of your car I'd go 1" in front and 2" in the back. If you want to confirm this have your dad measure the body between front and rear wheelwell openings. Put the car on level ground, then right behind the front wheelwell measure to ground. Repeat right ion front of the rear wheelwell opening. If the difference is 1" or more, then you need to drop the rear 1" more than the front. If the difference is 2", then the rear will still be 1" higher, even with a 1"/2" dropped coil and leaf setup.
Yeah I think the 1"/2" drop might be the way to go. If it happens to need to sit a little lower in the front, we can always cut off part of a coil.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wasting rubber
Thanks alot. I still cant figure out which front and rear spring combo to order. Hotchkis has the 1.5" drop in the rear and the 2" drop in the front. but I feel like the 2" drop in the front would be the limit. Summit and Eibach both sell 1" drop coils for the front. The summit leaf springs claim a 2" drop in the rear. Maybe mix and match? Given the way the car sits now, how do you think a 2" inch rear drop and 1" front drop will look? I don't want it to sit lower in the rear. I just want a nice level look or maybe a slight rake. I wish I could be around the car, then I think coming to a decision would be easier. I'm going on leave in a few months and I want to have the parts ready to install when I get home. Give me and my Dad something to do together. To many options!

Wasting Rubber – Nice looking ’67. It’s cool to have the ’68 front clip. You get the look of the ’68 recessed grill with the nice wing windows to ventilate the car while driving. Be careful when picking springs, your rear wheels are pretty deep and your tires might rub on the quarter panel lips.
Since you’re trying to gauge how the car will sit with Hotchkis springs, here’s Carl Casanova’s ’68 Camaro with all Hotchkis suspension.

Here’s the whole Super Chevy article on Carl’s car if you want to read up on the details and check out the cool videos!

Hotchkis 1968 Chevrolet Camaro - Super Chevy Magazine

Old 07-14-2011, 01:17 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Hotchkis
Wasting Rubber – Nice looking ’67. It’s cool to have the ’68 front clip. You get the look of the ’68 recessed grill with the nice wing windows to ventilate the car while driving. Be careful when picking springs, your rear wheels are pretty deep and your tires might rub on the quarter panel lips.
Since you’re trying to gauge how the car will sit with Hotchkis springs, here’s Carl Casanova’s ’68 Camaro with all Hotchkis suspension.

Here’s the whole Super Chevy article on Carl’s car if you want to read up on the details and check out the cool videos!

Hotchkis 1968 Chevrolet Camaro - Super Chevy Magazine
Is that the 2" front 1.5" back kit or the 3" all around kit?

Quick Reply: Got rid of some of that fender gap! (lots of pics included)