Gen 4 to Gen 1 front disc conversion??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2021, 11:21 AM
Default Gen 4 to Gen 1 front disc conversion??

First time post. Hey everyone, I have a question regarding the front disc brake conversion possibility. I have found quite a bit of info on 4th Gen REAR discs brakes to a 1st Gen, but absolutely nothing for the Fronts. My car is a 69 and I have a complete 4th Gen 1994 Z28 350 6-Speed Donor car. My wish is to use the bigger rotors and calipers from the Z28 on my 69, which already have discs brakes in front but both rotors and calipers are really rusted and pitted. I have found conversion info on C5 discs, but I don't know if that information applies to Z28 brakes. I know there are conversion kits out there I can buy, but as I stated before, I have a COMPLETE donor car I bought for the Engine and Trans but I'm hoping to use it's Front Brakes if possible and as many components as possible. I don't mind purchasing any other necessary parts I may need to make them work. Has anyone tried this before or have any idea if it's possible if not direct me in the right direction?

My hope is to use the Rear and front discs and some brake lines. Also the brake booster. If anyone has any additional knowledge of what other parts/conversion/swaps I could use the donor car for I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Old 12-07-2021, 03:19 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

First of all welcome to the site

What size rims do you have? Would you have access to a metal lath? Getting the calipers in the correct position with custom brackets is pretty easy, it is getting the rotor mounted that is a pain because your 69 uses such a different wheel bearing setup then the 94..

Are you sure you want to use the 94, they are an upgrade but the 98-2002 are a much better upgrade for the same amount of work. If you plan on using 16" plus rims you can buy the parts at a you pull it lot for under $30.

Old 12-08-2021, 03:21 PM

Hey Gorn.
So I have 18x10.5 rear and 18x8.5 front Wheels, And as you mentioned the 94 Brakes are an upgrade but the 98-2002 are a much better upgrade but I already have the complete Donor car.
So........!!!! You response sounded like its possible to make these work. I am not afraid of machining, welding or doing any other kind of work required. I have read where the wheel bearing hub has to be turned down, if so, "how much"? and you mentioned custom brackets to position the calipers, how custom? Do I have to get these made or can I order them? If so where and do you or anyone have a Product number?
I appreciate your response, it gives me hope I can get these to work!

Old 12-08-2021, 10:56 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

. You would have to turn down the hubs to about the same size as the hub on the 94. This is a clearance fit. You are also going to need to be sure you have diameter on the face of the hub that is concentric to the bearing center line. Then make a spacer to locate the rotor. The brackets are easy. Its just a flat plate with spacers and drilled to match the mounting points of the current caliper and drilled to match the new caliper..

I don't think there are any parts you can buy. I cannot say I can remember anyone doing this conversion.so you are pretty much on your own. I cannot remember were but I do remember someone selling brackets to fit the 98-02 brackets. .

BTW you are aware you need to replace the combination valve. The drum combination valve keeps a small amount of pressure in the brake line so the drum springs don't pull the shows away from the drum causing a soft pedal. This pressure will cause your rotors to over heats. I would also request changing to an aftermarket valve so you can adjust the pressures front to back because. Your new front rotors are going to have a lot more shopping power with the same pressure which means your front to back braking are no longer in balance. After market valves allow you to adjust this balance. .

Last edited by Gorn; 12-09-2021 at 10:51 AM.