Garage or carport?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 06:14 AM
Default Garage or carport?

I have a 67 camaro that is currently stored in a enclosed garage. The problem is that the car is stored at my uncle house and since he's a cheap *** he doesn't leave his A/C on in his garage. My camaro along with several other desirable muscle cars are currently stored in here. I noticed a small spot of rust start to form on my door by window. Also, I leave the windows rolled down and after a week or so I'll come and check on my car and mildew buildup is all over the interior.

This car was recently restored so there really isn't any rust on it. I guess my question is, is my car better off outside under a carport with a car cover or should I leave it in the garage?

Also, I noticed that since he doesn't run his air conditioning that often, it is really humid inside his garage. Another thing is that the way his house is designed, the garage is on bottom and his actual house in built on top of the garage. I'm not positive, but it seems that when he runs his A/C in his house, the moisture or condensation sweats down into the garage.

I know for sure that his garage his a hotbox because he has a 70 challenger that was completely restored before going into his garage, about a year later the thing is showing signs of rust. The challenger is rarely taken out. I would say on average less then 6-8 times out of the year.

Well any advice would be a great help. Also, to add, I live on island so the mentality here is an enclosed garage with A/C is the best way to go because of our salty air. Either that or just own a Vette and not have to worry about body rust issues.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Since all heating and air conditioning systems are required by law to take in a minimum amount of outside air it wont stop the rust from attacking it. Even dehumidifiers wont stop the salt air from your area from working on the metal. You need to keep after it and continually wipe it down and wax it, and even then it will attack areas you can't see.
Your only real alternative is to find storage inland far enough to eliminate salt air. Outside in a carport will just be worse.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I laughed when you said your uncle is a cheap *** and you have your cars stored in his garage. Pot meet Kettle.

I'm kidding with you of course. That's crazy that you have that much of a problem with rust and mildew. I would get it out of his garage as it sounds like his garage is specifically condusive to moisture for some reason. I live in Houston and don't have the salty air problem, but humidity is no joke here and I don't have AC in my garage and don't experience mildew problems at all.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 AM
2nd Gear member

You could pay your uncle to store your car and maybe then he would run the A/C for your car. HaHa

Old 09-16-2011, 10:45 PM

Well let me break it down more....
I currently own a condo so if I keep the car at my house it would be outside in the elements. I can't wait to get a house with an enclosed garage so I can store the car at my own place but right now I just don't have many options until I can afford to buy a house. Next, I'm pretty young and don't make no where near as much as my uncle. Let's just say my uncle is well off (extremely!!!) compared to my broke ***. Plus the guy has a 70 hemi cuda, 70 hemi challenger, 67 rs/ss convert.camaro, and 65 vette. So you would figure with cars like that in your garage you would run the a/c right? Well, not the case.

Am I better off getting one of those enclosed car canopies or what? I can't afford to restore my car or repaint it every few years so I want to make it last.

And its not like I haven't offered to help pay for his power bill. I get the "don't worry I leave the A/C on", but everytime I stop by its never on and the interior has tons of mildew.

Maybe a couple of fans facing in the direction of my car or what?

I try to wash/wax every so often, and even go as far as spraying WD-40 in the common areas that rust.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Pest are an issue if you store it outside. One mouse can do a lot of damage.

Basemant are never ideal for storage. Keep the outside of the car waxed you can even leave it on hvy by not wiping it. Get a good beathable indoor cover. Like California car covers. This will help with the cold metal attrating moisute. Roll those windows up. Get some of those jars of moisture absorbing stuff and put it inside the car.

Cal Car Cover
DampRid Commercial | DampRid Videos | DampRid

Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Tech Droid

The big problem is that those old cars were made to rust, so unless you replace all shet metal with galvanized ones, they will require constant care. People were expected to dump the cars every three years. A garage under ground level is not a good place to keep things that rust easily, and running the AC to keep unlived space dry is a poor option. Electricity does not come cheap. Being frugal is probably how your uncle accummulated money, and you didn't. A car port may or may not be agood idea, depending where you live. If you live in the country, and leave a car standing in one spot too long, all sorts of vermin will move in. There also the problem of constant sun shine degrading the paint and interior

Old 09-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You've got a couple of things working against the car, humidity and salt in the air. You could park it outside where it might be less humid than the basement garage, but the salt air will still attack the metal. You need to isolate the car from the outside elements just "sitting" on it like it is, with something like this: Carcoon Storage Systems

Old 09-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am not sure why I did not think of it but before but they to make whole car storage bags and the bubbles storage systems. You should research that. These are just quick google search. If you use the bag use a lot of the dehumidifyers things I posted above.

CarCapsule: The Ultimate Car Cover

Rhino Shelter Car Storage Bag, Rhino Shelter Car Pocket, MDM Car Storage Cover Bag, MDM Car Pocket

Last edited by Gorn; 09-17-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:53 AM

Thanks a lot for the advice. I think I'll be looking into buying a carcoon. I like the drive in model. I've seen probably one person on island with one so I figured it might be a gimmick. But after doing some research online they seem worth it.