First generation buying advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 12:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: First generation buying advise

What about this one....he is saying it is completly original....how much should I offer assuming it is the real deal RS/SS?

1967 camaro rs ss 350/295 horse power motor , Factory Air conditioning,Automatic console with gauges power steering, disc brakes CALIFORNIA CAR
all original still has original paint and interior car was a one owner owner past away original owner had the motor rebuilt and engine compartment restored all the original parts are still on it nothing has ever been changed the car would need a paint job and some interior work the car is 40 years old it still has the original spare and tools and mat in trunk what im trying to say i guess it is completely original and would need to be restored the car runs and drives very well

Old 01-26-2008, 02:57 PM
January 2008 ROTM

Name:  67photos002.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  57.2 KBdoes it come fully documented? pop window sticker build sheet maintence record's ? also When an engine is rebuilt most often when it gets decked the vin is lost is this the case with this one? if so no vin to prove #'s matching. OK i have a 67 ss 350 with all the documents needed to verify 36k original miles original paint with a maintence record that shows every part EVER replaced right down to a tail light and what each part cost where it was bought and the recipt's here is a pic or 2 Name:  67photos003.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  48.3 KB

Old 01-26-2008, 03:00 PM
January 2008 ROTM

this car was picked up or 6k in a trade for what was owed for some remodel work on an old ladies house since been offered 22k for it unrestored

Old 01-27-2008, 08:37 AM

I am not sure if it was me or the angle of the shot but the pic of the tail panel /trunk lid did not look like they lined up properly . Other wise was a nice car , the price seemed a little high for a clone (but not much ) with the car show season starting soon and from what i have seen prices are starting to come back to planet earth i personally would wait till early spring and see whats out their . Carlisle Pa is a really nice show and most of the time the prices are more in line . Example i saw a 69 camaro hugger orange 350 with black viynal for 17K i know its not a convert. but then again its a clone , i think if you look hard you can find an original for a little more money and the investment value would be better later .

Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 AM
January 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: bigdog59

I am not sure if it was me or the angle of the shot but the pic of the tail panel /trunk lid did not look like they lined up properly . Other wise was a nice car , the price seemed a little high for a clone (but not much ) with the car show season starting soon and from what i have seen prices are starting to come back to planet earth i personally would wait till early spring and see whats out their . Carlisle Pa is a really nice show and most of the time the prices are more in line . Example i saw a 69 camaro hugger orange 350 with black viynal for 17K i know its not a convert. but then again its a clone , i think if you look hard you can find an original for a little more money and the investment value would be better later .
I couldnt agree more

Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Camaro Todd,
No one can tell you whats right for you. You need to decide what is important to you. Is this an investment? Is it a car you want to take to shows every weekend? Is it a weekend cruiser? Are you going to drive it daily?

Investment:
You want to find a car that is all matching number as original as possible. Look for proof in the forum of documentation. It is not hard to make a car numbers matching. Thats why numbers matching and documented car sell for more. Almost numbers matching original will hurt the value. The first car you showed us was a perfect example of a car that was put together to sell. 396 BB with a drive line from a small block? There was no mention of anything being done to the drive line to beef it up. Just reading the add it sound like they where going after guys that did not know a lot about car collecting. If you buy a car as an investment I hope you like to look at it sitting in the Garage. That where it will be most of the time.

IMO the market is on a bubble right now cause these cars are hot. If the bubble brakes the non-originals will take the biggest hit.

Showcar/Cruises:
This can be fun, I did the Cruise thing a few year back. Cruises are mostly about looks and being clean. The completive Car show thing would require a near perfect numbers matching or totally custom car as clean as possible. For many people completive car shows take all their spare time. I saw one show that had two perfect cars they decided the winner by taking a white tissue up and down the antenna cleanest tissue won.

Weekend Cruiser:
These are the fun ones. Big rims, Big exhaust, Big horse power, With or without a trick paint job. Matching numbers/original long forgotten. Many of these cars are for fair weather driving only. These cars are not the best investment because how they are done is based on taste. Also people tend to worry about how the car has been driven. I have seen many of these cars sell for less then the sum of their parts. How many times have you seen 30k invested will sell for 18k? I would love to own a 502 with a 250 shot of NOS but I don't think I would buy one already built that way unless it was real cheap.

Daily drive:
Take a fully restored car. Drive it like a normal car and in 5 years then get it restored again. People do it and when you look at the price of a new car it really does not cost much more.

Once you decide what you are looking for then start watching prices. A original 6 cylinder car converted with a crate motor can be a great Cruise show/weekend Cruiser. But as you can see an almost numbers matching car kind falls thru the cracks of what you can do with a car.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:19 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I looked at the Original 67 RS/SS coupe and it appears by the cowl tag that it is in fact a genuine RS/SS.

It is pretty rough and needs a complete restoration.... Here are some pics...

I am not as concerned with "numbers matching" as this will be a weekend cruiser and local car shows. I am not looking to win awards with it, just to have fun...

[IMG]local://upfiles/11582/72361B3A0B3A499084A91CDB55766A00.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11582/A530F9CA4B2141388B13D5DF30E2FB02.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11582/AA1F3BC5F56F49BCA9B4FD753A383A0B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11582/5ACCCF528B8A4B5A9F4FC31F84F645C7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11582/340FE76265414BC89CEB8B17F8DA8241.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-28-2008, 04:22 AM
January 2008 ROTM

Name:  mar31141.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  45.0 KB
ORIGINAL: camarotodd

What about this one....he is saying it is completly original....how much should I offer assuming it is the real deal RS/SS?

1967 camaro rs ss 350/295 horse power motor , Factory Air conditioning,Automatic console with gauges power steering, disc brakes CALIFORNIA CAR
all original still has original paint and interior car was a one owner owner past away original owner had the motor rebuilt and engine compartment restored all the original parts are still on it nothing has ever been changed the car would need a paint job and some interior work the car is 40 years old it still has the original spare and tools and mat in trunk what im trying to say i guess it is completely original and would need to be restored the car runs and drives very well

Here is comparison A original 350 ss #'s matching motor

Old 01-28-2008, 04:39 AM
January 2008 ROTM

Name:  67photos015.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  53.6 KBwithout the air cleaner

Old 01-28-2008, 04:45 AM
January 2008 ROTM

vin pad .did you check the vin? Name:  67photos016.jpg
Views: 16