First generation buying advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: First generation buying advise

In Southern california it seems like people are asking pretty high prices for some not so great cars.

It seems like it would cost more than $30,000 to build a car like this by the time you figure all of the parts, labor and nickles and dimes that is sunk into it....

There are shells of cars that are missing major parts with no motors or trans.selling for over $12,000 in this area. ( Coupes, not convertibles)

I can only compare it with what I see in the local Autotraders, etc.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Here is the sellers description..

1967 RS/SS396 camaro convertible (tribute car)
exterior: fresh marina blue paint with white bumble bee stripe, pin stripe and blacked out rear tail light panel (done correctly to factory specs). very straight, rust free and unhit california car with original sheet metal. newer (black) power convertible top. dealer installed luggage rack. rear bumper gaurds. new 14x7 rally wheels, caps, trim rings and BFG radial tires. all chrome is either new or in good original condition. new windshield. new wheather stripping. grill, trim, emblems, lights andlenses are new or in good original condition.
interior: new blue deluxe seat covers (front and rear), new deluxe door panels, new dash,new sun visors, newwindow pillar moldings, new sill plates. carpet, kick panels, console with factory tach/gauges, factory power/tilt steering column, etc. are not new but in great condition.
drivetrain: 396/325 engine (rebuilt and date matched). 350 turbo auto trans. 10 bolt 308 gear rear axle. very detailed engine compartment (cowl tag correct). new battery, correct style battery cables, hoses, tower clamps, belts, starter, radiator, electronic ignition, coil, wiring harnesses, factory valve covers, air cleaner, etc. new power disc brakes including master, booster, calipers, etc. new exhaust system front to back. car runs and drives very good.
options: SS396 performance package.
RS package. (new RS grill, headlight motors, actuators, limit switches, wiring harnesses, back up lights, etc).
power top.
power/tilt steering.
power disc brakes.
factory tach/gauges.
deluxe interior.
fold down rear seat.
rear bumper gaurds.
luggage rack.
factory soft ray tinted glass.
this is a nicely optioned, good driving, cosmetically attractive car in #2 condition appraised @ $44,500. it is definetely an above average driver quality vehicle but is not perfect and does have some flaws.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Here in Central Cal., its not much different with prices. Desert climate areas do see a higher price for classic cars. Nicely detailed car that you might buy. But 44+k is for a REAL 396SS. It will sit for a while and then offer something less. Much Less.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I could get it for about $32,000.., not $44,500

It seem like with the exchange rate with the US dollar there are people from Europe coming here and snapping up classic cars... This seems to drive up the prices because they can afford to pay a little more due to the Euro being worth so much to the dollar. I know this is happening with Corvettes, so I am sure the same thing is happening with popular classiccars such as the Camaro.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:27 PM
1st Gear Member

let it go overseas.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

To go to all that expense and not change the Steering wheel center or the rear end. Both are dead give aways its not a SS. My favorite is the "(cowl tag correct)." on a clone? what does that mean?

It seems like it would cost more than $30,000 to build a car like this by the time you figure all of the parts, labor and nickles and dimes that is sunk into it....
Yes you could spend that much building a car, They didn't
rust free and unhit california car with original sheet metal.
Don't get me wrong I like an all original car as much as the next guy but an all original Clone?

Cars that are original have a limited life with any real usage. Car build in the 60's where designed to last about 10 years. E-coat body pannel installed with weld thru primers and coated with epoxy primerscan last a long time. If the right person restores a car it can last solid for the next 50 years with with the proper care.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:30 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I looked at the car tonight, but didnt drive it due to heavy rain.....

It looks as clean as it does in the pictures. there are some flaws such as a crack in the paint on the drivers door( body filler?), some chips on the edges of the doors (looks like the panels didnt align right at one time), power steering pump is noisy, defroster leverdont work, interior lights and clock dont work, and there is an oil leak somewhere. The paint looks pretty straight from what i could tell, and there didnt appear to be rust in the floorpan, trunk, or rocker panels.

Is this a car I should pass on??

What would be a good offer? ( the owner said he passed on $30,000 offers)

Old 01-26-2008, 02:07 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Should I pass on this and keep looking??

Old 01-26-2008, 04:21 AM
January 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: camarotodd

Should I pass on this and keep looking??
a crack in the paint is most likely from bondo if its there it prolly everywhere. there are so many of these cars out there to choose from why settle for one that dont feel right.Speaking from experience it dont take long at all to get far more money invested in one of these classics then what you were ever get back in a resale.For instance this car is a clone at best in perfect condition upper 20's. From what you say it has pannel issues(Alignment bondo)= paint= BIG MONEY defrost electrical not working= MONEY,you havent even driven it and are talking prolly in the ballpark 5-10k in repairs or more. I replaced my entire gauge cluster 2 yrs ago that alone cost me damm near 2k. all i can say is do the math

Old 01-26-2008, 04:26 AM
January 2008 ROTM

ORIGINAL: camarotodd

In Southern california it seems like people are asking pretty high prices for some not so great cars.

There are shells of cars that are missing major parts with no motors or trans.selling for over $12,000 in this area. ( Coupes, not convertibles)

I can only compare it with what I see in the local Autotraders, etc.
must be z28's or ss body's ...problem here is most of them most likely have fake trim tags on them. by the way there are10 time's as many SSand z28's now then there were produced LOL

Quick Reply: First generation buying advise