drum to power disc brake converstion details

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Default drum to power disc brake converstion details

Hello all
I have a 67 camaro resto mod that I am working on. This is my first real project car. I am in the process of doing the Drum to disc brake converstion and my question is: If I am going with a power disc brake converstion do/should I do a 4 wheel converstion? or is a Front power disc converstion all I need. Again this is a resto mod an is going to be driven on weekends only. I am limited on my cash and I would like to save the cost for a 4 wheel kit if its not truly needed. The money saved could go to another upgrade.

Any advice?

Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM
2nd Gear member

I purchased the SSBC conversion kit. BTW, you may want to upgrade to a 2 inch drop on your spindle when you order your kit. I wish I had, and they were going actually upgrade me for free... Don't ask me what I was thinking when I said no. {slaps self}

Anyway, I purchased the conversion for the front only, except I kept the SSBC master cylinder that accommodates 4 wheel disk brakes for when I finally do convert the rear drum to disk, even though I kept my rear drums. However, since the pressure is different for rear drums than it is for disk brakes, they include a power valve that will let you adjust the pressure to the rear drums.

While your at it, you may want to upgrade all your bushings as well. Your car will handle so much better, it won't even feel like the same car.

If you look on my wheel well just to the right of the master cylendar, you'll see the valve I'm talking about.
BTW, yeah, I know my engine compartment is ugly... It will get some TLC this summer.

Name:  CIMG0073.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  144.7 KB

Last edited by StoveBolts; 01-25-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM

So if you dont mind me asking.
Were did you purchase your SSBC kit from? I have been hearing some good things about there kit but i did have a few guys tell me that the SSBC kit is not a complete converstion kit and that i would have to reuse certaing items.

I had a SSBC kit on a vette i once owned and i was impressed with the brake performance but not the quality. The rotors rusted in a very shourt time.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Hey there, I don't mind you asking at all.

I saw their ad in Hot Rod magazine back in 04 and purchased the kit directly from them. You can check out their kits at http://www.ssbrakes.com
I just checked and their master kit comes with everything (including 2" drop spindles) except new ball joints which makes sense because you may, or may not want to change yours. When I did my Camaro, I replaced every piece of suspension and boy did is make a huge difference in handling. Speaking of parts, I do have a brand new pair of stock front springs (Never used) I'd let go for $40 plus shipping if your interested.

It was a pretty simple conversion and I don't recall anything missing. What I can say, is that my car stops much better now too LOL!

Old 01-27-2011, 02:30 PM
1st Gear Member

I purchased a 4 wheel disc brake conversion kit from matts classic bowties in california about 5 yes ago. Installed fairly easily and still works great. Was about $1200 back then and included everything.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:57 PM

Another path to take....depending on what you are going to do to/with your car and how much money you have in the budget: get a front disc set up off another early model Chevy and do the swap. I did that with a Chevy II years ago and it served me well until I had the cheeze to do the "real" swap.

Food for thought.

Tabascoboy

Old 01-28-2011, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

That's funny dj69z28, I purchased my Baer Kit from Matt's in Walnut Creek/Concord too. I would have bought them from Steve's in San Bruno, but he didn't carry much aftermarket stuff back then. I have Pro-Series in the fronts, Track Series in the back and I've locked em up at 80mph and they work flawlessly.