differences in quarter panel/door frame assembly for 68 and 69

Old 04-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Default differences in quarter panel/door frame assembly for 68 and 69

I am starting the restoration on my 69 camaro and i am looking at ordering a quarter panel/door frame assembly to replace/repair some of the problem areas on my car. I have seen the 69 quarter door assemblies for sale, but after trying to order it, they are out of stock with no ETA on getting them back in (could be months as there is only one supplier bringing them in). However there are several of the 68 assemblies still available.

what are the exact differences between the 69 and the 68 as i might need to look into going that route to get this project underway. I know the outer wheelhouse is different between 68 and 69. But i can remove the 68 outer wheelhouse and install a 69 wheelhouse. Also, from what i understand, there is a slight difference in the bolt holes for the door hinges between the 68 and 69. Is the difference between the two that major, or can the bolt holes on the hinge itself be enlarges/modified to work? Has anyone else used this panel or can offer any tips/advice on it.

I have already installed a new complete trunk pan, rear tail pan, and soon going to be installing a full complete floor pan. This quarter/door assembly is the next major piece i need to get my project further along.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 AM
2nd Gear member

Good Question order one and see. You can always send it back minus shipping of course as long as you dont cut it up. Just check the suppliers return policy before ordering. I have returned stuff to Ground up and Camaro Central with no problems.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I'm trying to picture which part you're talking about. Are you referring to the door latch pillar area? The doors are contoured differently, which would explain why the replacement parts are different. Are you wanting to use the complete replacement piece, or only part of it? Let me know if you want a picture of mine for comparison.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:45 AM

this is the panel

as far as shipping return, this is not something that would be easy (or cheap) to return as it has to ship truck freight and is $150-200 dollars shipping.

now i know that they sell some patch pieces, like the complete rocker assy which i could use/section into place, but i need a new lower cowl as well as a firewall w/ heater. i could also use the lower door jamb patch panel, but i need some of the upper sheet metal like the a pillar and the mounting area where the lower cowl attaches to just because mine has rusted and there is a little bit of good metal there, but im not sure how structurally sound it is. also on the rear pillar area that mounts to the outer wheelhouse, mine has rusted out. i would also need the lower jamb patch for the interior. I know that some of this can be repaired, but with the amount of work having to go into repairing all of these problem areas, the complete assembly seems like the right way to go.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear member

Didnt know you were talking about the whole assy.