COPO clone(ish) build plan

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
Default COPO clone(ish) build plan

Alrighty- so, I'm planning on building a clone of the COPO 9560 Camaro- 'cept I'll be making some alterations to the build. I've already decided I'm gonna build from scratch, with all new parts, instead of trying to rebuild an original. My only concern in doing this is registration and insurance, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it

My plans are barely anything at this point, I've had little luck finding options lists and such, but I've got some stuff for starters.

Ideally I'd like to start with an Anniversary 427 crate engine. If I can't get my hands on one of those, I'll instead get a ZZ427 crate engine, and try to turn it into a copy of the other. Value of the car isn't really my concern, since I don't plan on ever selling it.

Originally I was going to take the Muncie 4-speed close-ratio manual transmission that came stock in the original COPO 9560, although after further research I'm now looking at a Tremec TR-6060. Should give me a bit more power, and the overdrive gears will help at higher speeds and for cruising the highways.

I barely know anything about exhaust systems- any suggestions?

I'm planning on running 16" rims in the back, 15" in the front. Give it a bit more of an aggressive profile. If I can do that without causing any tire rubbing and can get stock- or at least stock appearance rims in the 16" size. I'm looking at 225/50 in the back and 205/50 in the front.

As far as tires I haven't really decided on any in specific, but I have been looking at BFGoodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S for the IROC-Z, and I might consider the same here.

4-wheel power disk brakes, power steering... Tilt steering is an absolute must for any vehicle, ever. :v

Little stuff like a tachometer, AM/FM radio, KM/H speedometer and KM odometer is for certain, although I need to look more into what was available before I finalize it all.

I'm gonna go for a convertible dynacorn body- with cowl induction hood as stock on all COPO Camaros. Hugger Orange with black SS (hockey) stripes, black leather interior and black ragtop.

s'about all that I've more or less decided on. I need to find out more about what was available in 1969- where possible I want to keep to stock equipment, and deviate as little as I can.

As far as cost I'm expecting around $50,000 plus many many hours of hard work to put it together.

I'm open to suggestions if there's bits I could do better, and I'd really appreciate knowing what all options were available back then, if anyone happens to know.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: COPO clone(ish) build plan

Sounds like a fun project, I think you might be a little lean on the budget, especially if your planning on one of the Anniversary 427 engines, as they should be fetching $80k or so. You'll be fighting with the professional builders for 1 of the 427 available. As a comparison, I'm planning on about 30k for my rebuild, and I have all metal (almost) an engine and rearend.

One actual useful peice of advice is watch you rim size when you are planning your brakes, 17 inch rims are minimum for a set of bigger brakes, you could probably cram some 11" rotors under the front 14" rims. As for fitting the rubber in, you should be plently fine with the sizes you have listed.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 PM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I've heard a number of prices on that engine actually- anywhere from $20,000 to $100,000. I'm basing my estimate on it being $20k, as if it gets much more expensive than that I'll have to look at something else.

That said, I would be interested to find out how much work would have to go into converting say, a ZZ427 into a clone of it, if anyone has an idea.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:08 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Hope no one minds the double post.

I've had someone suggest Flowmaster exhaust to me- as I mentioned I don't know -anything- about exhaust system, aside from the most basic facts.

That a good choice or should I be looking at something else?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm planning a set of flowmaster super 44's on my 69. It is a 396 bored 30 over (427).

Old 07-13-2008, 10:52 PM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well- From looking at it I suppose it looks well enough- d'you have an idea how it sounds?

Old 07-13-2008, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear member

I don't know how it is on first gens, but on fourth gens flowmaster sounds good, but is the worst flowing exhaust you can get. (As in worse than stock.)

But it will definitely give you an old-school sound.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:42 AM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ffs, let me post D:

How 'bout an IROC-Z exhaust system?

Old 07-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Exhaust will need some planning. I don’t think you will find a name brand kit to fit a 1st gen rag top. There are clearance issues. If you find one please let me know. The biggest I have found is 1-7/8” dia. Most for the guys I have asked at shows have custom bent exhaust. If you take it somewhere to get one made make sure they have done 1st gen rag tops before so they know what they are getting into.
427 in a rag top? The 427 COPO was known for twisting hardtop cars it was tearing the roofs and buckling quarters back in the 70s. You put one of those in a rag top back it up with a 6 speed and some big radials and itwill twist. you need support.A little overkill, but

http://www.maxgsystems.com/presenter/portal/page.aspx?key=Max-G-Home

Theengineers at GM never wanted to put in 325 HP 396 in the rag top marketing wanted it.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:11 PM
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I hadn't even factored suspension in, actually. >.> I was thinking I might hav to put a roll cage in it, but that was as far as I'd gotten.

So definitely thanks for the suggestion- I'll have to add it to the list even if it's a bit of a steep price.

Quick Reply: COPO clone(ish) build plan