Complete floor pan replacement for 68

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 03:51 AM
Default Cost to replace floors on my 68

Please excuse me if this is posted in the wrong section and has been posted many times before. I’m new here and haven’t found my way around the forum yet or the proper way to use the search function.

I recently purchased a 68 and the car has a super straight body and nice paint but the undercarriage needs some love. The car spent most of its life in Kentucky and the floor pans show it and they have taken a beating. Several patched areas (not great quality work) and soft spots all along the driver and passenger sides, and a completely rotted area between driver side floor pan and pinch weld. I’m really wanting to have it all cut out and replaced professionally. I wanted to ask if some of you guys/gals have paid to have floors replaced with a new one piece complete floor pan recently? If so would u mind sharing how much you paid? Would like to drop car off and have them strip the interior replace floors and resemble. Any input would b greatly appreciated!

Old 04-20-2020, 06:49 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Replacing the main structure on a already painted car? that is going to be pretty rare process. You would need this quoted by a restoration place and I would bet your going to get some no quotes. With the floor out the body is very flimsy and the slighted tweek in the wrong direction could crack the paint or the windshield. I think you would be better off doing sections. With a good tig welder it would be stronger then stock even butt welded.

Old 04-20-2020, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Replacing the main structure on a already painted car? that is going to be pretty rare process. You would need this quoted by a restoration place and I would bet your going to get some no quotes. With the floor out the body is very flimsy and the slighted tweek in the wrong direction could crack the paint or the windshield. I think you would be better off doing sections. With a good tig welder it would be stronger then stock even butt welded.
Thanks for the reply. Not sure y anyone would go thru the process of painting and making a car straight and not redo the floors properly. Looks as if the car has had the rockers replaced because there both in great shape. It’s the thin sheet metal that makes up the floor that is deteriorated. On the driver sides it doesnt look like they even cut away the old floor wen putting patch panels down. Looking under the car they don’t look bad but it’s once u get the car off the ground and climb under u see the bad areas specially along driver side where floor meets rocker panel. Maybe Ill jus focus on addressing certain areas as I go and ditch the idea of replacing the whole floor. Starting with the worst areas of course... again thanks for taking time to reply!

Old 04-20-2020, 08:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Like Gorn said, it gets flimsy when the floor comes out. The best way to replace a full floor is to weld in braces (1"X1" square tubing) beforen they cut out the floor. I wonder if this car sat outside over gravel for a long time...

Old 04-21-2020, 06:54 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

These type of cosmetic paint jobs were so common back in the 80s and 90s. I have put some very nice looking cars up on lifts only to step back and lower them very slowly because I was afraid it would break in half.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:28 PM

Looks like I was a little off on the condition of the floors. I pulled up the carpet on both sides and aside form a bit of surface rust there r no big rotting holes in the floor pans. It looks as if the previous owner addressed the floors but not exactly the way I would’ve. They installed floor pans atop the old floor and never cut out the old. So I’m left with solid floors which is great but a nasty looking rusted up old floor under it. Guess I will b getting the grinder and wire brushes out to make this undercarriage look presentable...

Old 04-22-2020, 11:07 PM
2nd Gear member

I have seen people just cut out what is bad on the floors And but both halves and weld in whats needed .

Old 04-23-2020, 11:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by knight89
Looks like I was a little off on the condition of the floors. I pulled up the carpet on both sides and aside form a bit of surface rust there r no big rotting holes in the floor pans. It looks as if the previous owner addressed the floors but not exactly the way I would’ve. They installed floor pans atop the old floor and never cut out the old. So I’m left with solid floors which is great but a nasty looking rusted up old floor under it. Guess I will b getting the grinder and wire brushes out to make this undercarriage look presentable...
Get electric metal sheers.

Old 04-25-2020, 08:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Did they bond the two floors together with anything?