Buyers Beware

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:29 PM
Default Buyers Beware

Hello, first post! I'm looking to purchase a 67-69 in the next year and wanted to know the best places to try and find one. Craigslist only has so many available, AutoTrader Classics is out there. I didn't notice a For Sale section in these forums. I'm not looking for an over $50K show quality car. Part of me wants a project car, but these days is there anything I can find that isn't already too far gone??? I'm not a restoration shop owner, purely an amateur mechanic. If I get a workable driver, how will I know if I get a lot of hidden rust and bondo for my 20-30 thousand dollars?

Looking for advice on the best way to look - reputable national dealers specializing in Camaros or GM cars, etc. Look for clubs, etc.? I had a 67 way way back in the day (RIP), what are the common trouble issues to look for?

I'm in Southern California

Old 01-28-2019, 09:46 PM
4th Gear Member

Well rust is the biggest problem and can hide a lot of places, ragtops and vinyl tops often have rust issues.
Specialty dealers will always want a premium so you'll pay more and still might get rust or bondo in hidden places.
A magnet with a thin soft surface so as not to scratch paint will help in the search for bondo,if it won't stick there's something not metal there.
Since you're in socal I'd try and find a desert SW local car with a provable background, an Arizona car bought new and always in the state for instance will probably be pretty solid.
A car that spent time in someplace like Michigan where they salt the roads not so much.
If you can find a one or two owner desert SW car that is original down to the paint that needs a resto but has a solid body that's the ticket

Old 02-10-2019, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Y2Keglide
Well rust is the biggest problem and can hide a lot of places, ragtops and vinyl tops often have rust issues.
Specialty dealers will always want a premium so you'll pay more and still might get rust or bondo in hidden places.
A magnet with a thin soft surface so as not to scratch paint will help in the search for bondo,if it won't stick there's something not metal there.
Since you're in socal I'd try and find a desert SW local car with a provable background, an Arizona car bought new and always in the state for instance will probably be pretty solid.
A car that spent time in someplace like Michigan where they salt the roads not so much.
If you can find a one or two owner desert SW car that is original down to the paint that needs a resto but has a solid body that's the ticket
Thanks man!!

Old 02-10-2019, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Check with your local Camaro clubs in your area is a good source for this. And they can help you in other ways as well,Good luck

Old 05-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by silversurfer
Hello, first post! I'm looking to purchase a 67-69 in the next year and wanted to know the best places to try and find one. Craigslist only has so many available, AutoTrader Classics is out there. I didn't notice a For Sale section in these forums. I'm not looking for an over $50K show quality car. Part of me wants a project car, but these days is there anything I can find that isn't already too far gone??? I'm not a restoration shop owner, purely an amateur mechanic. If I get a workable driver, how will I know if I get a lot of hidden rust and bondo for my 20-30 thousand dollars?

Looking for advice on the best way to look - reputable national dealers specializing in Camaros or GM cars, etc. Look for clubs, etc.? I had a 67 way way back in the day (RIP), what are the common trouble issues to look for?

I'm in Southern California
Actually, you can get a pretty nice 67-69 Camaro in your price range. I suspect baby boomers are kicking the bucket and their estates are selling them for a song and a dance. Currently on eBay, on the second page, there is a pretty nice Marina Blue one for $25K. It has a 350 plus AC and it has a Powerglide. It also has the deluxe interior and the wooden steering wheel. Its basically a blank slate: you can put it back to original or go to town with it. Best thing is its in Palm Springs and in SoCal all its life and its probably a short distance from you. It is a classified ad. I’m not sure I can post links in this forum so I won’t. I was really considering subject car but I bought a pretty nice ‘67RS just last week which an older restoration for $23 but it is costing me $3k to ship it to me. It is coming from Toronto Canada to California, insured, all customs and paperwork done, and in a covered vehicle. Basically, I consider it a $26K vehicle. Hope this helps.