Build dynacorn "camaro" or buy real one (Please read)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 08:34 AM
Default Build dynacorn "camaro" or buy real one (Please read)

Hey guys, first I wanted to say that I live in Netherlands, and this should answer the "you could buy pretty good camaro on carigslist under 10k) yes I agree, I have tried but nobody trusts online money transfer or wants to deal with shipping it to the Netherlands.
Here is the story, I have been looking for 1st gen 68 camaro for a long time, and I'm starting to give up. Something you must know, I love chevy as a brand, but it is the car that I love the most, the shape the engine everything. I saw on the internet that you could build dynacorn bodies yours self, which I really like the only thing I will need is to build a jig. The new dynacorn parts are new,without rust, made from modern metal instead of 50 year old metal, thicker metal too, and I honestly believe it could increase survivability at least by 5% on headon crash at atleast 80. Anyone who seen headon 1st gen camaro crash knows that everything over 70mph is pretty much death, but I dont care about that. I just want to know what you think, should I build my own "camaro" and daily drive it like I always wanted to without getting sad that something might happen to it unlike the original one. Or should I keep looking for original one on craigslist and hope someone wont be affraid of money transfer and shipping... Note I dont have 30k to buy restored one, I want mainly a project to work on it my self. Thank you for reading!

Old 07-07-2018, 09:31 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

In your situation not being able to see a car in person to check for rust and if you have the ability to build from scratch a new body would be my choice.
Finding an original car here that isn't a rust bucket for $10,000 is pretty much a pipe dream from what I've seen, you'd have to be real lucky to find one.
Here's what I could find locally, the '67 grandma car is $16K and says no rust but I have my doubts about that especially given the vinyl top.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...626937663.html

This car looks pretty solid and has some nice parts,it will probably be gone pretty quick at $14K.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...616270464.html

I did find one under $10K,typically it has some rust but I've seen a lot worse in this price range.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...620459849.html

Add the cost of shipping and from a private party not knowing if it'll be done correctly and without damage even if you find someone who'll work with you and that Dynacorn starts looking pretty good I'd think.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Y2K
In your situation not being able to see a car in person to check for rust and if you have the ability to build from scratch a new body would be my choice.
Finding an original car here that isn't a rust bucket for $10,000 is pretty much a pipe dream from what I've seen, you'd have to be real lucky to find one.
Here's what I could find locally, the '67 grandma car is $16K and says no rust but I have my doubts about that especially given the vinyl top.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...626937663.html

This car looks pretty solid and has some nice parts,it will probably be gone pretty quick at $14K.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...616270464.html

I did find one under $10K,typically it has some rust but I've seen a lot worse in this price range.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...620459849.html

Add the cost of shipping and from a private party not knowing if it'll be done correctly and without damage even if you find someone who'll work with you and that Dynacorn starts looking pretty good I'd think.
Thank you for the reply,I talked to dynacorn salesman about 2 months ago, and he told me if you really want an authentic/original car, you can buy whole dynacorn body and we will give it original vin number from a donor car for extra fee, does this seem like a good idea? I did not know it was even allowed to do.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ikataur
Thank you for the reply,I talked to dynacorn salesman about 2 months ago, and he told me if you really want an authentic/original car, you can buy whole dynacorn body and we will give it original vin number from a donor car for extra fee, does this seem like a good idea? I did not know it was even allowed to do.
Hmmm,interesting, I guess if they have a clean title for the donor car it's possible. Whether it's worth the extra fee or not is probably a different story.
Have you checked your local laws regarding a new build and title vs. an original car,it may be worth getting the original vin and title if that gets you past a lot of headaches regarding emissions,saftey and fuel mileage standards etc.etc.
I know here in the USA restoring vs. building a new car from scratch can be very different when it comes to getting a title and getting it licensed for the street depending on what state one is residing in.
Some states can be horrible and there are many hoops to jump through, an original vin. should be as simple as a title transfer most places.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Dynacorn with a donor vin # sounds like the way to go for you. You can do it without a jig. Admire that 1st gen. Camaro love from across the pond!

Old 07-07-2018, 07:09 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You really want to check with your local laws about the re-vin-ing the dynacorn body. In some areas tampering with a factory installed Vin number is a serious crime.

But after saying that if it is done before its shipped to your country you could be fine. Here in the USA the process of legally moving a Vin tag varies from State to State. In PA you have to document the damage to the car that is not fixable, and pictures of the finished Vin install. Then you have to keep that proof for 5 years.

I disagree with your estimate on the car being safer or more survivable. Modern cars are safer because of engineered crumple zones and energy absorption designed. You can total a modern car in a 35 MPH wreck but everyone walks away. Think of it as you are driving a pillow. Thicker metal is the opposite of a pillow.

Old 07-08-2018, 03:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I think the thicker sheet metal that Dynacorn uses has a lower tensile strength.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

You can certainty add some strength with a set of subframe connectors
and if you want more a roll bar tied into the subframe connectors.
Both good ideas if you plan on big power.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:03 PM

If you go the OG route, seems like there should be a 3rd party business somewhere stateside that could locate, inspect, provide a report, and ship to an overseas customer. Something like Lemon Squad to at least get unbiased eyes on a potential internet find for you.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:41 AM

I think in the long run you'll end up spending less money and time if you go the Dynacorn route, not to mention the risk of shipping your car over the ocean.

Quick Reply: Build dynacorn "camaro" or buy real one (Please read)