Big block conversion 1969 camaro

Old 11-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Default Big block conversion 1969 camaro

Need some advice ... adding big block to 69 camaro ... I am aware of the motor frame mounts ... transmission cross member ... etc. What I am looking for at this point is some info on which water pump was used .. long or short ... I am assuming long due to the location of the alternator. In terms of power steering ... I am assuming the brackets changed a bit from SB to BB. I do need to replace my steering box as it is shot anyway ... should I just order a complete kit ... or will some of the existing parts work? In terms of the heater core ... I have heard you can still use the same box ... but modifications are needed ... I am assuming I would need to buy the separate heater core ... Help!!!

UPDATE::

It looks as though the short water pump was on the 67 and 68 models .. for 69 I am about 99% sure I need the long water pump and correct brackets to keep the alternator on the passenger side. Powerstering pump appears to be different ... has anyone eliminated power steering and gone back to a manual box ... is it a direct bolt in item??

Last edited by Popkorn69; 11-03-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Figured out a few things few new questions
Old 11-07-2009, 06:35 AM

I have a factory big block, so I can't comment on the swap, but I'm sure your right about the alternator. My car has the long pump, and the alternator bolts to it.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:09 PM

Thanks .. that does help!!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear Member

first off, small block frame mounts WILL work with the big block. the only thing this does, is it puts the engine a bit farther back to the firewall (no big deal there) and it also puts it a bit closer to the steering box and that's not really an issue unless you are using big tube headers. even if you do use big tube headers with this combo, just buy Hooker Comps (not Super Comps because they don't fit with P.S.) and dimple the #3 tube.

you will also just have to elongate the holes for your tranny crossmember becuase it will also be slightly back (again, no big deal)

your steering box is the same. you will be using a long waterpump. accessory brackets are all different.

the heater core is probably the biggest change. the SB and BB use the same heater box firewall cover but the BB one has holes drilled in a different location to accept the BB heater core. they holes are different to allow for the girth of the BB. you can use your original box and just drill holes for the new BB heatercore, and then you can buy the parts needed to seal it. (this will save you around $100.00).

the only thing you will need to do after this, is to fill the holes in the firewall where the old heater hoses came through

hope this helps out

Old 11-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Y2K
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1969 SS
first off, small block frame mounts WILL work with the big block. the only thing this does, is it puts the engine a bit farther back to the firewall (no big deal there) and it also puts it a bit closer to the steering box and that's not really an issue unless you are using big tube headers. even if you do use big tube headers with this combo, just buy Hooker Comps (not Super Comps because they don't fit with P.S.) and dimple the #3 tube.
That's exactly how I did mine including the dimple in the headers although they weren't Hookers,been 30 years ago but I think the brand was Prostock or something like that,anyhow it worked the same.
I did run into one minor issue,I was running an Accel dual point dizzy with a cable drive tach and sometimes when I'd bang a gear real hard the motor would torque over enough that the dizzy cap hit on the firewall and got cracked.
I fixed that by pulling the dizzy out and doing a little hammer work on the firewall.
Of course that way back when a '69 Camaro was just another Chevy not a gold plated piece of exotica.
Anyway,most people run an HEI these days,might have the same problem as they have a pretty big cap.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:05 PM

thanks for all the help,i will need it.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear member

I converted my 69 from a 6 cylinder to a big block and it was a pretty easy conversion. I'm sure you aware of the obvious changes like front coil springs and a big radiator and yes, small block mounts will work but it's just as easy to swap out the small block mounts and use the correct ones and then you don't need to worry about fitup issues.

I swapped out the power steering for a maunal box on mine and it was a simple bolt off, bolt on type of deal.

If you're not going to be politically correct with this car, you can get some very nice alternator brackets from Alan Grove Components. I got a low mount, for a long pump and it cost me under $50. Very nice stuff.

I've heard of issues with using the small block heater core, the big block valve covers interfere with the hoses and cause the inlet and outlet of to crack. If your good with body work or know someone that is, just drill the new holes like stated above.

Again to be polictically correct, the long pump is what you need but you can use the short pump, you just need to get the right pulley's and alternator brackets to go with the short style.

Have fun....

Old 07-13-2012, 12:59 PM

engine installation went well but hooker comp headers on drivers side throwing me a fit.any help please.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:59 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Ron Wilson
engine installation went well but hooker comp headers on drivers side throwing me a fit.any help please.
Headers on a BB Camaro are a tough fit especially if you did not use BB frame mounts. I have factory manifolds but someone makes a header for BB Camaros where the third port comes out and over the steering box instead of trying to squeeze down beside it. Last I checked a set of those in ceramic were around $700.00. Or you can do what everyone else does and dimple the third tube to fit behind the steering box.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:54 AM
2nd Gear member

Can I have some of that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big block conversion 1969 camaro