Alignment question/issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Alignment question/issue

When I first bought the car I noticed it was out of alignment. When driving the steering wheel would actually turn to different positions. I changed the suspension out using the Hotchkis TVS kit, had the car aligned and still have the same issue. The tires look like the tops are sticking out of the fenders, steering wheel is off center. Once I drive it it all goes back to normal, then gets messed up again. Any ideas?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hi Dadz67, sorry to hear your steering is giving you problems. I have a few ideas, but need a few facts first.
1. steering box and rag joint original?
2. checked the steering column from top to bottom? dash mount and firewall ?
3. did you retain the drag link, ptman and idler setup?
4. original control arms?

If the wheels are showing a lot of positvie camber they are not properly aligned. Needs to go to the shop for a check over and explanation of what they did onthe alignment.
If your steering wheel is changing its neutral or rest position, something in the geometry is moving. You have to start the autopsy and check everything is tight.
1. steering column, shaft and rag joint.
2. Steering box. Mounting bolts, and shaft in connection
3. Pitman, drag link and idler. look for lose bolts or play, missing pins or breaks
4. control arms - mounting bolts BALL JOINT WEAR
5. spindle, These are strong forged items on a 67, but they can fail.

You have something feeding back to your steering wheel (think bump steer) I think the wheel alignment may be the culprit, probably incorrect re-assembly or shimming. but something is loose or broken. get the front off the ground, (use stands) then get a volunteer to work the steering while you inspect the steering system. good luck
Les

Old 12-16-2011, 04:45 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks for the help Les.

Turns out I have a bad lower control arm on the drivers side. We thought it was just a bad bushing but once we had it off we found it to be broken and needed to be replaced. Good excuse to replace with tubular upper and lower control arms from Hotchkis. They will be here Monday and I will be back on the road until it goes to the paint shop.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You had a broken lower control arm and someone says they aligned your car? Never take your car back to that place. I have done a lot a alignments and durring the process you should detect even very small amounts of play in the suspension well beyond what a human could feel when driving no less see it in the steering.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
You had a broken lower control arm and someone says they aligned your car? Never take your car back to that place. I have done a lot a alignments and durring the process you should detect even very small amounts of play in the suspension well beyond what a human could feel when driving no less see it in the steering.
I agree 100% Although, I did have it at three places before it was found and it was only found because they started taking everything apart looking for the issue. I am just happy it will be fixed and am hoping the Hotchkis pieces help the handling. I already have their TVS kit on the car.