68 camaro troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Default 68 camaro troubleshoot

Hello fellow camaro drivers,

This is my problem

When the car is cold, it turns on right away, I can turn the car off and on as many times as I want without a problem, once it warms up and you take it for a drive you feel hesitation when accelerating a few blocks, then it goes away and it response perfectly, once you get to an area whether is close or far and you turn off the car, it's hard to get the engine to turn, you have to step on the gas a few times to get it to turn. Meanwhile there still no more hesitation, drives perfect. So let's say I drive a mile or two more after that and try to turn the car on again. It's even harder, you have to pump gas twice as long as the first time. The more you drive it and the more times you turn off then the harder until impossible to turn back on. You need to let it sit for a few hours so you can turn it back on and the vicious cycle begins again. Any ideas?

Car info:
350 Chevy small block
Edelbrock Carburetor
Aluminum IntakeHeaders
Aluminum Radiator
Power Steering/Brakes

Last edited by anevil; 06-09-2016 at 05:37 PM. Reason: engine info
Old 06-09-2016, 09:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Float level in the carb might be too low.
Choke might not be opening all the way when hot, or not closing enough when cold, or both.
Carb might be getting too hot, and gas is perking out of the bowl faster than the fuel pump can refill it.
Fuel pump could be temperamental when it gets hot.
You can do visual checks on the choke operation, and look down the carb when pumping the throttle to see if gas is squirting, which will help narrow it down.

Old 06-10-2016, 05:25 AM
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the Club
Since an Eddy carb, meaning the base plate, the piece the throttle plates are installed, and the bowl is one piece, it could be the fuel in the bowl is evaporating due to heat especially since ethanol mixed.
Dry bowl, the longer the cranking time for fuel pump to fill bowl, carb to supply fuel enough to start dispensing fuel, then starts.

You might stick a fiberglass isolation plate between the carb and intake to block the heat soak of carb.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:31 AM
Default L30/m35

I recently Purchased a1968 Camaro which surprisingly turned out to be a L30/M35. I have read a lot about the rarity of the L30/M20 but I cannot find anything on the L30/M35. Can anyone tell be how may models were built with that configuration? I also note that the engine, tranny and rear end are all VIN matching the interior is all original as well.
]Hello fellow camaro drivers,

This is my problem

When the car is cold, it turns on right away, I can turn the car off and on as many times as I want without a problem, once it warms up and you take it for a drive you feel hesitation when accelerating a few blocks, then it goes away and it response perfectly, once you get to an area whether is close or far and you turn off the car, it's hard to get the engine to turn, you have to step on the gas a few times to get it to turn. Meanwhile there still no more hesitation, drives perfect. So let's say I drive a mile or two more after that and try to turn the car on again. It's even harder, you have to pump gas twice as long as the first time. The more you drive it and the more times you turn off then the harder until impossible to turn back on. You need to let it sit for a few hours so you can turn it back on and the vicious cycle begins again. Any ideas?

Car info:
350 Chevy small block
Edelbrock Carburetor
Aluminum IntakeHeaders
Aluminum Radiator
Power Steering/Brakes[/QUOTE]