68 camaro ignition issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 05:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 68 camaro ignition issues

I have a 68 camaro with a summit racing ignition system. My problems started with relocating my alternator. I forgot to disconnect the battery (dumb) and as I was test fittinig the alternator to the new bracket the terminal hit the block and sparked pretty seriously. I got everything back together, and low and behold, no power. The battery is fine. I checked power to the ignition box and that is fine. I pulled the ignition switch and checked the red power wire from the ignition box...it read 1.7. I don't know if I fried the ignition box or perhaps a fuse? I would think if it was a fuse there would be zero power to the switch. I can't really find any troubleshooting tips for checking current coming out of the box to the ignition switch. is it as simple as checking for power in the red wire that goes to the switch? If I could get a little guidance here, that would be great. I am obviously no master mechanic, but I want to learn this stuff....often that comes at a price, as is probably the case here. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Old 12-13-2020, 09:01 PM

Which box? Is it their house brand equivalent to an MSD box? If it is and you mean the thin red wire thats connected to the ignition switch, then disconnect the red wire and recheck the voltage from the switch. Should be 12 or so when the key is on, zero with key off. Check for 12 vokts at the thick red wire all the time. Then pull the orange and black wires from the coil and check it with an ohm meter. If all that checks out, you may have fried the box.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Avispa
Which box? Is it their house brand equivalent to an MSD box? If it is and you mean the thin red wire thats connected to the ignition switch, then disconnect the red wire and recheck the voltage from the switch. Should be 12 or so when the key is on, zero with key off. Check for 12 vokts at the thick red wire all the time. Then pull the orange and black wires from the coil and check it with an ohm meter. If all that checks out, you may have fried the box.

turns out it was a bad wire....the wire going from the battery to the junction block was bad...I checked the resistance. Replaced it and all is well. I really need to clean up the wires going to my battery....way too many! Thank you for your response.