'67 - Spark Plugs????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 01:32 PM
Default '67 - Spark Plugs????

HEY ALL! Before you ask, YES I searched. But I can't find this....so thank you in advance.

I have a 1967 Camaro SS that blew some rod bearings in October. It sat for a bit - in January I pulled the engine finally, and decided rebuilding wasnt an option. I bought a GM Performance crate motor - 350/290 Base engine. She is back in the car, and everything is hooked up. But I can't get the car to start. I have found TDC twice now - once before I realized I needed to prime the engine and move the crank to get oil everywhere and again after. I am 99.5% sure that I found TDC. Intake valve opened and closed, compression shot through the spark plug hole, and I verified that the piston was in the HIGH position. Then rotated the balancer around to the 0 mark. But she turns over - but won't start.

Some notes that may impact:
1. I put NGK Iridium spark plugs in - have never used them. TR55GP - 3433 is the number. Advanced Auto did NOT show them in the system for a 350, but then I did a search for 'small block Chevy 350 spark plug' - and they came up. HOWEVER, I didn't search for a 1967. Just a small block - would that impact? Would the plugs I got NOT work because they were possibly for a newer version?
2. I DID forget - until just a short while ago - that when i was trying to get her running and set the timing, I had disconnected the vacuum advance on the distributor - but had not plugged it. Would that make the car not start?
3. At TDC - no matter what I did, the two neighboring gears on the distributor had the rotor pointed at number 3, not number 1 - or it had it pointed to the front of the motor. It would not line up pointed at number 1.

Just looking for things to work through - plugs? Vacuum advance? I am sure the timing is off - but it should have been VERY close and at least turned over.

THANK you.

Paul

Old 06-21-2020, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

TR55's are used in the Gen 2 LT1 (350). IDK what heads you have (vortec?) but they should work

Your oil pump slot may be off so when your dizzy is in the rotor points the wrong direction. No big deal if you have #1 wire plugged in that same position and the rest of the plug wires in firing order are plugged in clockwise on dizzy cap. You could use a long blade screw driver to spin the oil pump gear if you wanted the rotor pointing at # 1. I can't remember if that slot wants to be 5 o'clock position to allow rotor to point towards # 1

does the car backfire through the carb?

if so you may be 180 off

having vac line disconnected on dizzy won't make it not start. You want it off and plugged anyway to set timing