67 fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Default 67 fuel gauge

fuel gauge still pointing to 3 0'clock position. ignition on or off makes no difference, no movement. no ohms on wire to tank sending unit. gauge will move to E when wire in trunk going back to fuel gauge is grounded. any help out there ? Have not dropped tank yet .

Old 07-03-2007, 11:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 67 fuel gauge

Sounds like a bad ground somewhere. Maybe on the back of the dash.

Old 07-05-2007, 04:30 AM

two prongs on back of fuel gauge no wires connected ? should there be ? 67 camaro inline 6

Old 07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

So there are two prongs on the gauge and nothing is connected yet it will go to E when grounded? Doesn't make sence. Check E-Bay for a chiltons, you can get a decent woring digram from an 'Factory Assembly Manual' Also I would recomend finding as much liturature as you can for yourself.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:13 PM

ok , will check all resources Chiltons, factory manuals. I just thought someone on this sight must have a wiring diagram for the back of this gauge onthis vehicle..

Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Those prongs serve no electrical purpose!
The harness that plugs into the instrument panel is all you need. Cracked curcuit board or loose connection maybe.

The harness has a TAN wire in it. That is the Fuel gauge wire.

Follow this through a small connector 6 or 8 wires and then through the wiring harness that runs the length of the car. It's in the door jamp and goes to the trunk. Back here the fuel guage wire shares a connection with the licence plate light. This is the HOT lead. No ground in this circuit. The ground comes directly from the sending unit in the tank. Grounding here may be the issue. Scrape off any paint under the screw or clean the rust out.

That's about all I can think of.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:41 PM

thanks jonynitro. I will do this and trace the wire back to sending unit connector in trunk. I am not ready to drop the tank. it is new not installed by me. but if the gauage reads 3 oclock position at all times no matter what (have approx 5gals of fuel in tank now)even when disconnected at trunk connector, but will start toward empty when the wire is disconnected and grounded the problem must be from connector in trunk forward. have read alot of past history on this site and others, but mine seems unique. thanks again...will write when problem is solved....

Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 AM
June 2007 ROTM

did u touch the carb any?

Old 07-06-2007, 11:47 AM

touch the carb ? It was overhauled by the previous owner. This is all i know.. Runs like a 6 banger perfect...orig car 86,000 miles was restored with new gas tank..wire from sender to gauge checks ok to first connector under dash..no ohms from fuel sender. has approx 5gals in it. Don't know if sender is new. If it is grounded to tank inside could this cause the problem ? What I don't understand is the gauge stays at the 3pm position no matter what. Key on, Key off no change. But ur question touching the carb. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN ? This is a plain Jane 67 Camaro 6 inline 250 CID... Tell me more ... BLADE

Old 07-06-2007, 12:33 PM
June 2007 ROTM

Well when I took my carb off disconnected the lines my gauge did the samething. went to the 3 o clock pos. never did get fixed.

Quick Reply: 67 fuel gauge