1968 Real or Clone RS SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 PM
Default 1968 Real or Clone RS SS

Hello,

I'm looking to purchase a 68 RS SS 396. I would like to get matching numbers but that research has led to possible falsification of numbers and restamping, etc. So through additional research I've also found out that you can't identify a RS or SS on a 68 via VIN #s (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). So my question is, does the pink slip or title state if it was an RS SS originally? How can someone really know they are purchasing a factory RS SS so they don't get taken?

Thank you in advance

Old 04-24-2018, 06:45 PM
4th Gear Member

RS Pkg (RPO Z22) is an appearance pkg and could be ordered on ANY Camaro.
SS Pkg is a lot more involved.
1968 is the hardest year to define, but, read up over at Camaro Research Group for good info.

Old 04-25-2018, 04:28 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There is no way to prove if a car is real or not. There are a few ways to prove it not an SS but the cars that you could not prove where not SS's have historically sold for more money. People have been building SS clones for the last 40 years. This includes every shred of a Documents.

I remember a story of a guy who build a full clone RS/Z28 68 rag top. He was insanely detailed with the paper work. He also documented the entire build thread process and the Vin number. Years later he sold the car off (as a clone). The car came up on auction "certified real". (There was only one 68 RS/Z28 rag top ever build). The car jumped from dealer to dealer. As soon as someone would find it up for sale the dealer would get a bunch of emails from forum. Man in later years there was hate mail from people who got taken at the original builder.

What collectors like now is a full detailed history of the car dating back to the delivery dates with letters from the original owner or relatives and pictures of the car when new. I even know one guy that had a framed speeding ticket with the original owners name and Z28 as the model 3 days after it was purchased.

With the difference in value of a True RS/SS and a Clone RS/SS at 15-25K you can imagine people have been faking car histories for that last 20 years. Every once in a while you will see a car at a show where the person spent more time proving the history of the car then they did actual looking at the car. Its funny to see the history looking prefect and the car just all wrong.

Nice thing about the 67 is the cowl tag, it list the original option but sadly cowl tags are now reproduced so you can just order one with the options you wanted.