1968 Camaro value/info

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Default 1968 Camaro value/info

Hello everyone.

I have a few questions about a 1968 Camaro I may be interested in.
It was originally a V-6 auto, but when it was only 2 years old it
had a 350 V-8 and 4 speed swapped in. It has 38k original miles and
clear/clean title. The only flaws on the car is a small crease on the
passenger fender and the rocker panels could be replaced. Other than
that the car is clean.

Does the motor/trans swap hurt the value of the car? Or could it improve?

What do you think the value of the car is right now?

Thanks for any and all info.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would guess at least 50% of the cars out there where sold as a I6 (not v6) Not being a numbers matching V8 hurts that value. Since its not numbers matching I don't think having a 44 year old motor in there is going to help the value in anyway. Since it is not matching numbers people are looking for upgrades. If they want correct era engine they want it fresh and correct.

There are people that are looking for correct looking cars but most of those people are looking for them because they can not afford the number matching car so they are looking for the cheap version.

Without pics it tuff to take a guess at the value. The rockers need work? Rust or dents? The car is street legal and can be driven on a test drive?

Drivable without rust 10k-20K depending on condition

Can't be driven and rusty rockers. 5K-7K

Old 05-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
I would guess at least 50% of the cars out there where sold as a I6 (not v6) Not being a numbers matching V8 hurts that value. Since its not numbers matching I don't think having a 44 year old motor in there is going to help the value in anyway. Since it is not matching numbers people are looking for upgrades. If they want correct era engine they want it fresh and correct.

There are people that are looking for correct looking cars but most of those people are looking for them because they can not afford the number matching car so they are looking for the cheap version.

Without pics it tuff to take a guess at the value. The rockers need work? Rust or dents? The car is street legal and can be driven on a test drive?

Drivable without rust 10k-20K depending on condition

Can't be driven and rusty rockers. 5K-7K
The rockers are rusted at the very bottom. That is the only rust on the car. It is street legal and runs good with no problems.
For some reason it's not giving me the option to upload pictures.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:44 AM

I guess I need the 3 posts so I can upload pics.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:08 PM

Here is some pictures of the camaro.

Attached Thumbnails 1968 Camaro value/info-camaro1.jpg   1968 Camaro value/info-camaro2.jpg   1968 Camaro value/info-camaro3.jpg   1968 Camaro value/info-camaro4.jpg  
Old 05-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Looks like a nice one! You should have opened the screen door before taking the shots though.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Looks like a nice one! You should have opened the screen door before taking the shots though.
It is nice except for some rust in the rockers and small crease in the passenger fender.

Sorry for the pics...they are actually a picture taken from my phone of another
picture.

What do you guys think of the value? I have a 2003 Harley Sportster (worth
$3,000) and he wants it and $11,000 for it. He was asking $14,500 for it. He
said that's the best he can do.

Thoughts? This would be the first Camaro for me, and my dream one at that.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:11 AM

They are making the Harley probally as I type this and the new Camaro however the first gen Camaro is the way to go.In my opinion well worth the trade.As Gorn stated it is a 44year old car engine swap could help since it was an original 6 cyl. at birth.Go for it!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

IMO it comes down to what you want and what your can do. 14k sounds about right BUT if you want a really nice one without rust and damage they can be found for under 20K in a 68. To have this near prefect is going to cost you some body work and a paint job. A good paint job is going to cost you 8k.

If it was me I would fix the rust and the crease. Take it to have the body color scanned that match the paint but I am not a show car guy.

When was it painted last? If it was in the last 10 ten years and it is rusting out of 10 year old paint I would be worried of what I might find under the paint. Have you checked the passenger and trunk floors. I have seen original cars that had solid rockers and no floors.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Yeah it also wouldn't hurt to do the old fridge magnet is areas to find filler. Check around the bottom of the windsheild and rear window. I agree with Gorn if the paint is old there could be more nasty hiding and if the paint is fresh with the rust then that's another red flag that the seller is trying to hide something. Does the car have power steering, power brakes, disc brakes at all? In a non numbers matching car the value is in how comfortable and driveable the car is.

Quick Reply: 1968 Camaro value/info