2010+ V6 Tech discuss modifications to the all new 3.6L v6 here.

age old question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Default age old question.

ok here goes, i am thinking of using synthetic, 5/30 in my ride when the time comes for my first oil change...2010 2lt. ? any thoughts ...dealer mechanic says NOT needed in a 6 cyl....my thoughts wht not?? with 300+ hp engine a better way to protect my engine?/ thanks ryd..use it in my bikes never a problem with syn...later ryd..

Old 07-16-2010, 09:32 AM

I put sythetic in mine, like you said might as well protect it. I was told the same thing, why put sythetic in a V6, but why not. Its a tad bit more but its worth the extra protection.I say go for it.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

agree,,, why would it be ok in a 300 hp v8 and not a 300hp v6? dont make sence.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Droid

You have a very sophysticated engine and very expensive to replace. Go with a name brand syntethic using the viscosity shown in your manual. The dealer is hoping that the engine will break down so that he can get money on warranty repair or stick you with the bill if out of warranty.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

nice..........................................

Old 09-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Overdrive Member

Times Two! Except I have been using the WalMart SuperTech full synthetic and it has been just fine, certainly better than regular dino oil...

Originally Posted by z28pete
You have a very sophysticated engine and very expensive to replace. Go with a name brand syntethic using the viscosity shown in your manual. The dealer is hoping that the engine will break down so that he can get money on warranty repair or stick you with the bill if out of warranty.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I've had this same valid concern with my Bike,quad & now my 2010 V-6 camaroe that I care about So much. I have a mechanic friend that said something to me that made sense to me,That I'd like some feedback from all you gearheads.His logic was that,yes,the factory oil is designed for the initial " Break-in" period of 3K miles.I understand there are specific components in the oil to accelerate the break-in process.After that period,it should be replaced w/ conventional geographic area specific conventional lubricants.His opinion is that , to go one more 3K interval,before switching to & staying with synthetic's.I value this particular friends opinion,his success in years of drag racing bollsters my confidence.I'd like to hear any pro or con oppinions to this logic. Love this forum, thanks, westmassk

Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Tech Droid

Probably won't make much difference one way or the other. But it would be a good idea to switch to synthetic sooner than later. And keep changing oil every 3000 miles. The oil itself may last 10000 miles, but it continues to collect dirt. When the filter is full of dirt the bypass valve opens and now you have dirty unfiltered oil "polishing" your engine.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Z28Pete, you just brought up a good point,yet aren't there filters desinged specifically for Syn.'s that aren't the same old paper elements.I'm not sure what the medium is made up of,but I think they're based around the concept of longer duration between changes for the very scenario you described. wesrmassk

Old 09-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Droid

It is a matter of filter volume, there is a limit on how much you can stuff in a little can. For some reason filters have been getting smaller while rcommended time between changes has been increasing. Probably why some engines are getting sludged up to the point where they fail, Ex. 2.7 Chrysler V6

Quick Reply: age old question.