2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse / Back-up Camera

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 08:28 AM
Default Reverse / Back-up Camera

Hi,

Has anybody installed any aftermarket reverse/back-up cameras?
To be more specific installed those that comes with the display intergrated in the rear view mirror that's compatible with the original mirror?

Any tips on how to DIY it?

Cheers

Old 11-20-2010, 12:56 PM

Haven't yet, but considering the mod. Have heard the install isn't too difficult though..........there are several brand sources around (4-8 hundred bucks for the kits) with rear view mirror screens. Be sure and double check on whether or not, the OnStar and Home Link operation/buttons is intergated into the hardware, ie. Post pics if you take the plunge,,,,,,,,Good luck

Old 11-21-2010, 04:57 AM

Is there any reliable brands that you have in mind?
400-800 bucks seems quite ex.
Saw on eBay there are some going for 100++, but with a separate LCD monitor.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:40 PM

Looking for the same back up camera, monitor in the mirror with onstar...
Found this one: http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/genk356.aspx
Only problem is it says it does not fit the Camaro for some reason. Anybody have another idea?
Thanks, David

Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 AM

I just bought a reverse camera with a 3.5" LCD display in Singapore for only $188. The display should fit the little space below the center console, unless you've got the gauges there like to 2LT and up models.
Have not got the time to install it yet.

Anybody knows where the relays/circuits are for the reverse lights? I was told to connect it there.

Cheers

Old 12-08-2010, 01:15 AM

We do back up cameras at work with several options: separate LCD screen. Integrated screen in mirror (thing is you have to buy a new mirror and with the OnStar options etc the mirror is almost as much as the kit). The other option is doing back up sensors without a monitor and just using an auditory speaker that signals when something is behind the car (beeps faster the closer something gets), the cheapest option.

Also something to consider, instead of drilling into your brand new rear bumper, is a newer style that hides the sensors behind the bumper that sense through the bumper. Pretty cool in my opinion and I love not having to drill into a new vehicle whenever I get the chance.

As far as installs go, it's a pretty quick job all in all. The most time you will spend is running the wiring for the screen up to the front of the cabin because you have to snake the wiring through all the plastics, unless you are lazy and want to run the wiring under the car...

Old 12-08-2010, 05:19 AM

Civisi, where do you get the mirror from? That is what we are looking for.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:42 AM

Through my work, we go direct through Keystone. I can call later this morning, and see if I can order just a mirror if you want.