2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with my anti theft system!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 01:20 AM
Default Problem with my anti theft system!!

I have a 2011 Chevy camaro v6 RS . I have had NO problems with the car until now. I had remotely started my car today to get it to start warming up and popped the trunk to put some items in it. When I walked towards it to put the items in the trunk while my car was running and the trunk open, my car alarm randomly went off. I had the key fob in my hand so I thought I accidentally hit the panic button. But nothing I pushed on my fob was turning off the car alarm. I had to physically put the keys in the ignition to get it to stop. So I thought it was a fluke and got to my destination and locked my car using the fob and started walking away from my car and all of a sudden my alarm went off again. Now I have my car keys in my ignition in my car in the garage to prevent the alarms going off! I searched all the forums and can't find anyone with this same problem. There's no codes being shown, nothing is popping up that anything is wrong. Please help!!

Old 12-28-2015, 04:08 PM
4th Gear Member

You have learned Grasshopper - once alarm goes off, only way to shut it off is insert key.
Read Owner's Manual as it may read to place trans into a certain gear, you never know.
View Camaro in closed dark garage to see if a door/trunk lid is open - courtesy light on?
Is hood fully closed?
As last resort before a dealer visit, duct tape, one at a time, each sensor closed to see watch door/lid is open.
The last door/lid duct taped close and no alarm is the culprit.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:12 PM

Well, atleast you responded so I can't be that mad at you. I just find it funny that 183 people have seen this post and no one seems to want to trouble shoot it. I took it to the dealership yesterday and what they are telling me sounds like a load of crap. They told me that there was a new update to my VATS. They had to call Chevy technical support because they couldn't find out what the problem was themselves. So supposedly the alarm was going off and the only explanation they have is that there was an update, which makes no sense at all. Why would my alarm suddenly go off and not stop just because there was an update? And ontop of it, they charged me $99 to do it. They said they think this was the answer, however, if the problem continues to persist my computer chip may be bad which would cost thousands of dollars to replace/ fix. I may not be tech savy but my car is 4 years old with a clean title, no problems with it, bought brand new with less than 20 miles on it and drove it off the lot myself, and if chevy thinks they are going to make me buy a new chip due to their technical screw up they have another thing coming. Sounds like a manufacturing thing to me. Has anyone else had this problem? Seems like this happened ever since the recall of they key was done...

Old 12-30-2015, 06:31 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i moved your other thread from forum issues to the ask gm section. post the dealer responses in that thread and see if the gm rep responds. i think that the new issue has us stumped to and needs to be resolved.