2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never driven a stick shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Default Never driven a stick shift

I am thinking about buying a camaro, but have never driven a stick shift. From everything that I have heard, a stick shift is the way to go when buying this type of car. Not knowing how to drive one poses some serious problems:
1. I can't test drive it.
2. I don't know if I actually will prefer a stick shift.

The options I see here are:
1. Buy an automatic.
2. Buy a stick and hope it is right for me.
3. Somehow learn to drive a stick before buying this car.

Each of these options has a problem, though.
1. I will always feel that I should have gone stick shift. Trying one would either cure this or make it much worse.
2. I could end up hating my new car.
3. I know no one with a stick shift. My only choice would be to buy a lesser car.

What do you all think I should do?

Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 AM

My last two cars were manual's, both Corvettes. I bought my 2011 Camaro SS in auto, I'm tired of shifting. I've still got the paddles if I feel like going thru the gears manually, and it leave's me a free hand in traffic. Sure, manuals can be fun, but they can be a PIA too. Don't let the manual/auto question discourage you from enjoying a nice car. The only thing I'm missing about my Z06, compared to the new Camaro, is the loss of 100HP, but that can be fixed

Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Banned
Location: Raised in Tilton NH now residing in Kings Mountain KY

Learn how before you purchase. It'll take you 10 minutes to learn and a day or two to master. It's not hard. Just make sure you start off in a large empty parking lot somewhere like a closed shopping mall or an industrial park. Heck I bet a salesman would even take you to one and teach you if he thought you were serious about buying one. IMO everyone should know how to drive stick. As a matter I wouldn't let my kids get their licenses until they learned.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JLB768
My last two cars were manual's, both Corvettes. I bought my 2011 Camaro SS in auto, I'm tired of shifting. I've still got the paddles if I feel like going thru the gears manually, and it leave's me a free hand in traffic. Sure, manuals can be fun, but they can be a PIA too. Don't let the manual/auto question discourage you from enjoying a nice car. The only thing I'm missing about my Z06, compared to the new Camaro, is the loss of 100HP, but that can be fixed
So you would suggest I get the auto? Interesting. I just feel weird buying an auto without ever trying a stick. I will definitely take your advice under consideration.

Anyone else have anything to contribute?

Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Pablo63
Learn how before you purchase. It'll take you 10 minutes to learn and a day or two to master. It's not hard. Just make sure you start off in a large empty parking lot somewhere like a closed shopping mall or an industrial park. Heck I bet a salesman would even take you to one and teach you if he thought you were serious about buying one. IMO everyone should know how to drive stick. As a matter I wouldn't let my kids get their licenses until they learned.
Somehow I missed your post. The biggest problem with learning a stick is that I do not have one to practice on. I am sure my parents would have forced the issue, but they also have no stick shift vehicles. It is a skill that you must practice to gain. It would seem that a dealer is the best option. I hope they are understanding. Not being able to learn to drive a stick shift was one of the big disappointments when I was getting my license.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Tech Droid

There are many driving schools out there that will teach you how to properly drive a stick.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:20 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

When i bought my car I had never driven a stick shift before. Believe me, it takes a few tries to get it right. But once you get it down, it's like riding a bike. It stays with you forever. And think about it. What if you get stranded somewhere and the only car there is a stick shift and someone needs to be rushed to the hospital. I bet you'd like to be able to drive a stick shift then.

On another note, they're fun as hell to drive. I hated my car at first because I didn't know how to drive it. It basically sat in my driveway for 3 months. I got bored one day and told myself that I was going to teach myself how to drive it. Check out youtube. There are some learning vids on there that will get you on the road. If you practice out of the car with a bottle for a shifter, you'll be able to get n the car and do it.

One thing to remember is that getting the car to start moving is the hardest thing to do. Let the clutch out very slowly and when you hear the engine start bogging down, give it a little gas. I highly recommend getting the manual trans above the auto. I refuse to buy an automatic car. Hence why I haven't sold my car yet. I can't find another decent stick shift Camaro with fewer miles for a decent price.

Good luck with which ever decision you make!

Old 02-06-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chaotic94
When i bought my car I had never driven a stick shift before. Believe me, it takes a few tries to get it right. But once you get it down, it's like riding a bike. It stays with you forever. And think about it. What if you get stranded somewhere and the only car there is a stick shift and someone needs to be rushed to the hospital. I bet you'd like to be able to drive a stick shift then.

On another note, they're fun as hell to drive. I hated my car at first because I didn't know how to drive it. It basically sat in my driveway for 3 months. I got bored one day and told myself that I was going to teach myself how to drive it. Check out youtube. There are some learning vids on there that will get you on the road. If you practice out of the car with a bottle for a shifter, you'll be able to get n the car and do it.

One thing to remember is that getting the car to start moving is the hardest thing to do. Let the clutch out very slowly and when you hear the engine start bogging down, give it a little gas. I highly recommend getting the manual trans above the auto. I refuse to buy an automatic car. Hence why I haven't sold my car yet. I can't find another decent stick shift Camaro with fewer miles for a decent price.

Good luck with which ever decision you make!
Thank you for the input. It really inspires confidence to know that you learned to drive a stick so easily. I look forward to a similar experience.

@z28pete
A driving school is a good suggestion. I don't think it would be necessary, but they would have a car for me to learn on, right? That might be the rout that I will have to go if I can't figure something else out.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You're about to spend what, $25, $30k on a car you're not sure you'll be able to drive?

Spend $200 and buy a Chevette or something with a manual and trash the **** out of it while you learn how. At least you'll have the basics down when you get it. I already had to replace the transmission once in my Cobalt because I didn't take that advice.

There'll still be a new car waiting for you in six months- it's not like they stopped building them or anything

Old 02-06-2011, 04:29 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^My car had 175xx when I bought it. I had never touched a manual trans in my life. And I've had no issue what so ever.

Quick Reply: Never driven a stick shift